Thread: Found a red eared slider in front of my house. What to do?

Thanks

Question Found a red eared slider in front of my house. What to do?

Hi all,

I just came home from work and found a huge female red eared slider sitting right in front of my door.
    I know these turtles are native to Texas, but I do not see any natural habitat nearby. I am suspicious she is someone's pet, and was placed in front of my door because I obviously like reptiles (given all the reptile supplies I buy online).
    She is very pretty, appears to be in good health, and is not very shy. I will see what the local reptile rescue says.

What would you do if you found a turtle? I have two red eared sliders myself (they stay with my parents back home in Germany), so I know which care they need. I keep mine at home in an aquarium, for a lack of a better option, but I know a pond would be better. This turtle is much larger than mine, so there's no way I could provide her with an adequate home here.

Any suggestions welcome.
    Lucia
    1.1.0 Crested Geckos "Jackson Pollock" and "Pumpkin Spice" 1.0.0 Chahoua "Urmel" 1.1 Red eared sliders "Freddy Krueger" (25 years) and "Mucki" (45 years) RIP Peppermint (Green Anole)

Thanks

Do you have a local animal rescue organization and/or habitat restoration folks? They may be able to help you find a suitable home for the turtle.
    3.4.0 Correlophus ciliatus (crested geckos)

Thanks

Thanks! I found a reptile rescue nearby, but haven't reached anyone there yet. I noticed the turtle has an injured foot, which I would rather see healed before releasing her. I'll take her to the reptile rescue or a vet and see what they say.
    Name:  IMG_2723.jpg
Views: 61
Size:  109.1 KB
    1.1.0 Crested Geckos "Jackson Pollock" and "Pumpkin Spice" 1.0.0 Chahoua "Urmel" 1.1 Red eared sliders "Freddy Krueger" (25 years) and "Mucki" (45 years) RIP Peppermint (Green Anole)

Thanks

Looking at her head pattern, I actually think she is a red eared slider / yellow bellied slider hybrid. She's also bigger than most red eared sliders I have seen.

Thanks

If she's a hybrid I believe that makes her more likely to be an abandoned/escaped pet, since the yellow bellies are not native to TX. Do you agree?

Thanks

if it was me, I would take har in and see if she is injured in any way. if she is, Id keep her until she heels and then release her into a good area. if she is not injured, Id let her go inot a good area. (make sure the area is turtle safe, I.E no nearby highways, standing water that is there all the time and not just when it rains, make sure there is grass and woods, the standing water needs to be where she can fully submerge and not be seen.). TBH, I have never called an animal rescue. every single animal I have ever found I have kept until healed and then replaced back into the wild.
    .1.DOG Jiggles
    2.1.CRESTED GECKO Dekstest,Phantom,Lovely
    .1.YBST Cloveth
    .1.MINIPIG Judy(food&belly rub is kinda apig deal)
    1..RAT CoconutRatMinneapolis
    4.4.COCKATIELS

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lucia View Post
    If she's a hybrid I believe that makes her more likely to be an abandoned/escaped pet, since the yellow bellies are not native to TX. Do you agree?
    Either that or the offspring of an escaped pet.
    Dude with a gecko, plain and simple.

1.0.0 crested gecko "Connors"
    0.0.1 California kingsnake "Steve"

Thanks

Thanks everyone! I have no issues caring for the turtle until her foot is healed, but I hope the reptile rescue can give me some input what to do with her in the long run.

I read an article that the first report of a yellow bellied slider in TX was only in 2013, so I do not think they are very common here yet. I agree she could be the offspring of a pet, but she is at least 5 years old, so she would be one of the first generations of hybrids. Point is: if yellow bellied sliders or hybrids are not yet established in Brazos County, then this turtle should not be released into the wild to protect the native red eared slider population. Since I am no expert on local turtle populations, I hope someone at the Texas Reptile Hospice & Sanctuary can give me good advice.

She also loves repto-min sticks as if she already knows them.

She is a big turtle and would need a pond to be happy. I would love to build a turtle pond in my yard (she could even stay there year-round), but I do not expect to stay here in College Station for much longer than a year from now, so I better find another home for the turtle if she can not be released...

Thanks

there is a really good turtle form if you need any other info... Portal Turtle Forum.
    .1.DOG Jiggles
    2.1.CRESTED GECKO Dekstest,Phantom,Lovely
    .1.YBST Cloveth
    .1.MINIPIG Judy(food&belly rub is kinda apig deal)
    1..RAT CoconutRatMinneapolis
    4.4.COCKATIELS