Thread: Moris the Mantis.

Thanks

Default Moris the Mantis.

Here is my Moris girlie! She is a (what I think) Chinese Mantis. My Grandmas cat brought her in as a snack, but I saved her instead! Ive had her since June 20th and she is AMAZING!!! I never even thought about having a Mantis as a pet, but she is freaking awesome! She LOVES to be held! Whenever i open her cage to clean up her leftover food, she climbs out super super fast and climbs up onto my shirt! Or whenever I hold her, she will NOT let me put her back into her cage! She will climp up my arm super fast and goes onto my shoulder and just chills! She is SOOOOO STUBBORN! Here are a few pics of her the first day she lived with me. I cant wait for her to grow! Its so sad that she will only live to be a year old! She is currently 2 weeks. She eats like CHAMP! (A few pics are washed out and may be blurry)

If anyone has any experience with Mantids, Id really appreciate some tips!
    one question for Mantis owners: Can I use Vermiculite for the bottom of the cage instead of dirt? Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images           
    .1.DOG Jiggles
    2.1.CRESTED GECKO Dekstest,Phantom,Lovely
    .1.YBST Cloveth
    .1.MINIPIG Judy(food&belly rub is kinda apig deal)
    1..RAT CoconutRatMinneapolis
    4.4.COCKATIELS

Thanks

Awww, Morris is so cute! Yes, mantids are awesome pets and their little eyes can just look into your soul (as my son says). We have had a few, but currently our old girl Mrs. Pickles (S. viridis) is our only one. She has been through a lot, coming to us with a mismolt, and after several assisted molts (and losing then growing both hind legs back plus having to be handfed the whole time), she finally made it to adult in one piece! I hear you about their short lives, but each of them leaves such wonderful memories. Mrs. Pickles is almost a year old and we are rooting her her to hang in a long as possible!

Your girl may actually be a boy (males have 8 abdominal segments, females have 6), but a photo of the underside would be more helpful. Also, with your third photo, it looks like there are wingbuds - can you confirm that there are short little "petal" growths coming off after the thorax? That would indicate that this mantis is a subadult and will become adult the next molt.

For substrate, paper towel is fine or eco earth. Vermiculite is not a great substrate, and I also would not use dirt from outside due to other insects/bacteria that may inhabit it. As your mantis is still a nymph and has further molts ahead, it is *extremely* important to make sure that the enclosure is safe to ensure it can have safe molts. Mantids will hang from a horizontal surface with the four walking legs, split the exoskeleton at the thorax, then emerge and hang under their own old molt (which is already hanging from above) as their new soft exoskeleton dries/hardens. I cannot emphasize enough how important a safe molting process is - as a mismolt or fall during a molt can at best result in a deformed/disabled mantis to at worst a slow death.

With that said, I would move it to something like a 32 oz deli cup with a mesh lid, paper towel on the bottom, and a popsicle stick until it molts to adult. If you want to keep that enclosure you have, give it simple sticks to walk on, ensuring that there is unobstructed hanging room more than two times body length from the top (3 times is better). Do you have a mesh top? You can cut/burn out the top and hot glue screening mesh to the top that it can hang from. Alternatively, you can provide another secure material hot glued to the top to hang from such a slices of those styrofoamy pool noodles. After the adult molt, a fancier/prettier enclosure with lots of foliage would be fine.

Make sure you mist daily for drinking and to maintain humidity (low humidity also can lead to mismolts). What are you feeding Morris right now?
    Dedicated to the health, quality, and genetic diversity of Crested Geckos (Correlophus ciliatus)
    DoubleHelixGeckos.com
    Facebook Page
    iHerp Page

3. The Following User Says Thank You to CrestieFu For This Useful Post:

Lovelyanddekstest (07-01-2016)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CrestieFu View Post
    Awww, Morris is so cute! Yes, mantids are awesome pets and their little eyes can just look into your soul (as my son says). We have had a few, but currently our old girl Mrs. Pickles (S. viridis) is our only one. She has been through a lot, coming to us with a mismolt, and after several assisted molts (and losing then growing both hind legs back plus having to be handfed the whole time), she finally made it to adult in one piece! I hear you about their short lives, but each of them leaves such wonderful memories. Mrs. Pickles is almost a year old and we are rooting her her to hang in a long as possible!

Your girl may actually be a boy (males have 8 abdominal segments, females have 6), but a photo of the underside would be more helpful. Also, with your third photo, it looks like there are wingbuds - can you confirm that there are short little "petal" growths coming off after the thorax? That would indicate that this mantis is a subadult and will become adult the next molt.

For substrate, paper towel is fine or eco earth. Vermiculite is not a great substrate, and I also would not use dirt from outside due to other insects/bacteria that may inhabit it. As your mantis is still a nymph and has further molts ahead, it is *extremely* important to make sure that the enclosure is safe to ensure it can have safe molts. Mantids will hang from a horizontal surface with the four walking legs, split the exoskeleton at the thorax, then emerge and hang under their own old molt (which is already hanging from above) as their new soft exoskeleton dries/hardens. I cannot emphasize enough how important a safe molting process is - as a mismolt or fall during a molt can at best result in a deformed/disabled mantis to at worst a slow death.

With that said, I would move it to something like a 32 oz deli cup with a mesh lid, paper towel on the bottom, and a popsicle stick until it molts to adult. If you want to keep that enclosure you have, give it simple sticks to walk on, ensuring that there is unobstructed hanging room more than two times body length from the top (3 times is better). Do you have a mesh top? You can cut/burn out the top and hot glue screening mesh to the top that it can hang from. Alternatively, you can provide another secure material hot glued to the top to hang from such a slices of those styrofoamy pool noodles. After the adult molt, a fancier/prettier enclosure with lots of foliage would be fine.

Make sure you mist daily for drinking and to maintain humidity (low humidity also can lead to mismolts). What are you feeding Morris right now?
    First off, Thank you!

Secondly,
    Your girl may actually be a boy (males have 8 abdominal segments, females have 6), but a photo of the underside would be more helpful.
    Really?? Every thing I have read only say that males have 5 segments and females have 8...... That's why I said she was a she. (I was hoping she is a she because I love her name for her!!! but, I'll love her 'him' either way) I will definetly get a photo of her underside. (imay not be counting it right since she is my first).

Also, with your third photo, it looks like there are wingbuds - can you confirm that there are short little "petal" growths coming off after the thorax? That would indicate that this mantis is a subadult and will become adult the next molt.
    TBH, I havent noticed that, but I will be sure to look more closely.

For substrate, paper towel is fine or eco earth. Vermiculite is not a great substrate, and I also would not use dirt from outside due to other insects/bacteria that may inhabit it.
    I would never use dirt from outisde, lol. But, will use papertowel.

As your mantis is still a nymph and has further molts ahead, it is *extremely* important to make sure that the enclosure is safe to ensure it can have safe molts. Mantids will hang from a horizontal surface with the four walking legs, split the exoskeleton at the thorax, then emerge and hang under their own old molt (which is already hanging from above) as their new soft exoskeleton dries/hardens. I cannot emphasize enough how important a safe molting process is - as a mismolt or fall during a molt can at best result in a deformed/disabled mantis to at worst a slow death.
    The cage in the photos was just temporarily so I could transfer her home from my grandparents.
    What I have now is better I think, not sure. She has stick that is probably 4 times her length that she hangs from. She has a toilet paper roll in there from side to side about half way up so she can get under it and hang and also sit on top. I will also post a picture of that.
    The size of the container she is in now is 108.5 oz. As stated above, i have a space that is four times her size. I do not have a mesh top. I have a simple hard plastic top with lots of vent holes. She holds on to it very well. I have a piece of screen that I got for the top, but wasnt sure about how to go about putting it on, Thanks!

Again, really? Everything I have read online said only mist the cage once or twice a week. So far, she has only had crickets since I have only had her one week, and also everyting I have read says to only feed her every three days or so. So, she has had two feedings. My nephew caught me a fly to feed her, but some how it excaped from the container I had it in lol! (Online says they can eat flies, butterflies, crickets, even bees and wasps. anything that is not bigger then them and is alive).

I will get more photos ASAP of her underside, her enclosure and her thorax! which I checked her out again and didnt see any 'wings'.
    .1.DOG Jiggles
    .1.YBST Cloveth
    4.4.COCKATIELS

Thanks

I don't know where online you have been researching, some places are more reliable than others. I would definitely check out the mantidforum for some great info from both entomologists and long-time keepers.

For sexing, this is a great thread with pics:
    http://mantidforum.net/forums/index....ale-or-female/

And caresheet for T. sinensis:
    http://mantidforum.net/forums/index....hinese-mantis/
    Dedicated to the health, quality, and genetic diversity of Crested Geckos (Correlophus ciliatus)
    DoubleHelixGeckos.com
    Facebook Page
    iHerp Page

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CrestieFu View Post
    I don't know where online you have been researching, some places are more reliable than others. I would definitely check out the mantidforum for some great info from both entomologists and long-time keepers.

For sexing, this is a great thread with pics:
    http://mantidforum.net/forums/index....ale-or-female/

And caresheet for T. sinensis:
    http://mantidforum.net/forums/index....hinese-mantis/
    thanks, and itll probaly be today or tomorrow when I get the pics up.
    .1.DOG Jiggles
    .1.YBST Cloveth
    4.4.COCKATIELS