Thread: what are the diffenat pinstripes?

Hybrid View

Thanks

Default what are the diffenat pinstripes?

so far, ive heard of
    1. phantom
    2. reverse
    3. regular pinstipre

I know what a reverse and regular pins are, I think.... reverse is where there is pinstriping like under the crest but just not the crests right? and regular is pin on the crests?
    I jdont know what phantom pin is??? and also, whats the pin that goes along to side on the body??

Thanks

Phantom is raised pin scales having the same color as the geckos base color. Animals with a pinstripe and one along the sides are called quad pins. It is also referred to as lateral pinning.

Thanks

Like Big Tom said, phantom pins have elongated pinstripe scales on basically bicolor or patternless geckos where there is not any color contrast between pinning and the gecko's base color, and dorsal patterning is minimal or absent. However, some classification of phantom pinners allow for cream/white highlights on the elongated pinstripe scales *only* (any white spread to the dorsal will disqualify and be a regular pinner). A "regular" pinstripe will have color variation on both the pinstripe scales as well as the rest of the dorsal, which is not the same color as the gecko's base color.

1. Some examples of phantom pins in light or dark:

Full phantom pinner:

High percentage phantom pinner. This gecko also has a partial/incomplete line of raised scales along her sides, which if they were complete would categorize her as a phantom quadstripe:

Dark phantom pinner with highlights that are *only* on pinstripe scales and minimal dorsal pattern:

2. Reverse pinning is where there is a dark "reverse" highlight high on the sides just under the pinstripe. This is usually only noticeable on light-based geckos.

Reverse quadstripe. Depending on definition, he may also be considered a phantom reverse quadstripe, but he is in the gray areas where there is still a bit of dorsal pattern discernible, but the cream just on the pinstripe scales. The "reverse" is the dark striping just under his pinstripes. It is also reflected above his side raised scales (the quad-stripe or lateral pinning/lateral stripe area):

Another reverse quadstripe, with a darker outline just under the dorsal pinstripe, also just above the lateral stripes. Not a phantom as you can see there is thick cream and obvious pattern on the dorsal. There is a line of raised scales on the side that accompany the cream. While some geckos have high whites, I personally would not call a quad/lateral stripe unless the scales themselves were also raised.

3. Quad pinners - Like I mentioned above, these are geckos that will generally have full dorsal pinstripes as well as completely connected raised scales along the side between the front and rear legs, often highlighted with cream/white. A gecko with dashes on the sides is usually termed a "partial quadstripe".

Higher-contrast quadstripes. Ignoring the lateral striping, these doral pinstripes would fall into the category of "regular" pinner, as would the young yellow quadstripe above:

This would be a harley quadstripe with the degree of patterning in the C/E zones.
    Last edited by CrestieFu; 07-01-2016 at 01:56 PM.
    Dedicated to the health, quality, and genetic diversity of Crested Geckos (Correlophus ciliatus)
    DoubleHelixGeckos.com
    Facebook Page
    iHerp Page

4. The Following User Says Thank You to CrestieFu For This Useful Post:

maclyri (07-19-2017)

Thanks

thank you! and, are those your kids?
    .1.DOG Jiggles
    2.1.CRESTED GECKO Dekstest,Phantom,Lovely
    .1.YBST Cloveth
    .1.MINIPIG Judy(food&belly rub is kinda apig deal)
    1..RAT CoconutRatMinneapolis
    4.4.COCKATIELS

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lovelyanddekstest View Post
    thank you! and, are those your kids?
    All of them expect the dark phantom pinner are mine. Love the pins!
    Dedicated to the health, quality, and genetic diversity of Crested Geckos (Correlophus ciliatus)
    DoubleHelixGeckos.com
    Facebook Page
    iHerp Page

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CrestieFu View Post
    All of them expect the dark phantom pinner are mine. Love the pins!
    dang, those are pretty gorgeous! that is definitely my goal!
    .1.DOG Jiggles
    2.1.CRESTED GECKO Dekstest,Phantom,Lovely
    .1.YBST Cloveth
    .1.MINIPIG Judy(food&belly rub is kinda apig deal)
    1..RAT CoconutRatMinneapolis
    4.4.COCKATIELS

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Lovelyanddekstest For This Useful Post:

CrestieFu (07-01-2016)