Thread: New Exo Medium Extra-Tall Build!

Thanks

Default New Exo Medium Extra-Tall Build!

Hello everyone, I am starting a new build and wanted to post a teaser of it here. The tank will be an Exo Terra Medium Extra-Tall (24x18x36") and I am not sure on the inhabitants yet, but it probably won't be cresteds (I'm thinking dart frogs or possibly day geckos). Anyway, while cresteds won't be going in here I still think it would work very nicely for them, so I'm sharing it here. The main concept with this build is to replicate a "gnarled root mass", viewable from 360 degrees with no background. So what I have done so far was order a bunch of ghostwood from NEHerp, and then I proceeded to zip-tie all the wood together around the main 3" PVC "trunk". The zip-ties will be covered in brown silicone/coco fiber; the only reason I chose them over something less conspicuous (like gorilla glue or stainless screws) was because I wanted a little extra security knowing the branches would not fall/come apart. Once covered in silicone/coco and then wrapped in sphagnum I am confident they will not be seen. The main PVC trunk will also be wrapped in Spyra, a synthetic that wicks water and is good for growing epiphytes. I have ordered the tank, but it probably won't be here for another 1-2 weeks, but once it does and I pick up some more supplies I'll update the thread So without further adieu, here are the first pics of the ghostwood centerpiece!

This is how the structure will be viewed from the front:
    Name:  20160429_085318.jpg
Views: 132
Size:  93.6 KB

And two side views
    Name:  20160429_085407.jpg
Views: 82
Size:  90.6 KBName:  20160429_085333.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  94.0 KB

2. The Following User Says Thank You to empire3569 For This Useful Post:

Ollie H (05-01-2016)

Thanks

Ooh... that'll be pretty awesome looking, can't wait to see how it turns out!!!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Ollie H For This Useful Post:

empire3569 (04-30-2016)

Thanks

So I just ordered some bromeliads; I found a great store on ebay that lets you see the actual plant you are buying, and they had great prices for some of the smaller Neo's! I ended up with 2x Neo "Wild Tiger", 2x Neo "Hannibal Lector x Cheers", and 2x Neo "Dartanion". The awesome thing was that both of the Wild Tigers and both of the Hannibal x Cheers came with pups attached to them, so it's almost like I got 10 broms in total, and only spent $55! Plant wise, I am going to try to keep this tank focusing on Neos (of which there will only be these three species) and vining peperomias (of which there will be about 12-13 species lol). My tank will be here Tuesday, and assuming that it's intact when I receive it, I will order some substrate and lighting and hopefully have a rough mock up ready by next weekend. Here are some pics of the bromeliads

Neo "Wild Tiger"
    Name:  Neo Wild Tiger.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  85.5 KB

Neo "Hannibal Lector x Cheers"
    Name:  Neo Hannibal lector x Cheers.jpg
Views: 48
Size:  92.8 KB

Neo "Dartanion"
    Name:  Neo Dartanion.jpg
Views: 39
Size:  88.2 KB

6. The Following User Says Thank You to empire3569 For This Useful Post:

Ollie H (05-01-2016)

Thanks

Update: The tank is set up and the first round of planting has been completed! I ended up with 9 broms in total (plus some small pups still attached to parent plants). For lighting, I am using a EVO 24" LED fixture with 28 3W bulbs, which puts out a CRAZY amount of light, much more than my CFLs in my other two tanks. Unfortunately I think I will need to pick up one more LED fixture just to cover all the broms. I have an order with NEHerp that should be in next week for some moss and microfauna, and some peperomia cuttings coming in from a member on another forum. Anyway, here are the pics!

Full tank shot
    Name:  20160506_172056.jpg
Views: 98
Size:  98.3 KB

Close up of broms on each side (since the LEDs wash them out)
    Name:  20160506_170655.jpg
Views: 50
Size:  100.2 KBName:  20160506_170647.jpg
Views: 49
Size:  97.8 KB

Thanks

Ooh... ahh... That looks very nice! Are you going to add any terrestrial plants? Either way, I'm impressed. Good job!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Ollie H For This Useful Post:

empire3569 (05-07-2016)

Thanks

nice!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Greg.L.741 For This Useful Post:

empire3569 (05-07-2016)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie H View Post
    Ooh... ahh... That looks very nice! Are you going to add any terrestrial plants? Either way, I'm impressed. Good job!
    I know for sure I want a couple fern species in there, but I'm not sure what else for the ground.... I kinda wanted to keep this mainly an epiphyte tank with the root column as the focus. I think I am going to add a couple small species for the floor, but right now nothing too large planned