Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Getting Your First Crestie

Thanks

Default Getting Your First Crestie

Hello,
    I have never owned reptiles before and am intrested in purchasing a crested gecko. I have read lots of care sheets and articles, but as some of the information is outdated, i wanted to ask some questions here as well based on personal experience.

-Are there any temperment differences among individuals? I was wanting to get a female but read that after they reach breeding age they become more tempermental. I was also wondering if one sex smells more than the other of is messier.
    -Which habitat is better and easier to maintain, the bioactivated or all fake? When looking at the prices of substrate, i concluded that it may be cheaper to have a bioactivated to reduce cleaning and decrease the frequency of buying substrate.
    -which live plants can be used?
    -can driftwood be used and which kind?
    -how would you convert a fish tank into a enclosure?
    -if you will be away for a while, should you transport the gecko with you and set up a makeshift enclosure at your destination, or would that cause to much stress?

Thanks! This is a photo of the tank i plan on using, it is a 49 gallon corner tank, it is taller than it is wide and i plan on filling it with climbing stuff.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Thanks

Sorry, double post
    Last edited by Last_Creature; 04-06-2016 at 12:12 PM. Reason: Double post
    Sam
    C.Ciliatus 4.1.4.2 E.Macularius 1.2 Lampropeltis getula floridana 0.1 Boa Constrictor Imperator 0.1
    Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/Aryas-Exotics-1841922079418266/
    Instagram: @sams_exotics

Thanks

I'd say a 49 gallon is quite large for one adult, 15 gallons minimum and 25 is bets for one adult, with a tank of larger size you have to make sure that the good is on an obvious spot so the gecko can eat and be healthy.
    There are no personality differences between males/females, every gecko has their own personality but some males, once at breeding age/weight, can be quite agressive as they think you're hand is a female and will bite lots and attempt to breed but aggressive animals are few and far apart. I prefer plastic tubs with fake plants and paper towel as its easier to keep clean, but bio active setups are awesome as they clean up all your geckos poops and any mold for you so the only thing you have to do is change out the food/water and wipe down the glass occasionally (I find geckos like pooping on the glass walls a lot) and they make awesome display tanks (because cresties are always hiding during the day, they don't make good dispay animals)
    As far as vacations or trips, don't bring the animal with you, keep it at home and get a very trusted friend or family member to watch over and care for your gecko. In the caging and terrarium section there is a big list of safe plants you can use in tanks. I prefer Pothos, and umbrella plants as they fill in the tank well and are very hardy plants wandering jews are also good plants as they vine out and fill up a lot of space. Drift wood is good but avoid pine/cedar as it can be harmful, make sure to thrutouly wash and scrub the wood with hot water and a very small amount of bleach, to kill anything harmful on or in the wood including nasty bugs from outside.
    To convert a fish tank just get a custom made secure, partially screened lid that fits the tank, you don't want an all screen lid as the tank will dry out too quickly so is 50% if the lid is screen that's perfect to keep humidity.

I think that's all, if you have any other questions or if I forgot something let me know
    Sam
    C.Ciliatus 4.1.4.2 E.Macularius 1.2 Lampropeltis getula floridana 0.1 Boa Constrictor Imperator 0.1

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Last_Creature For This Useful Post:

holly.dole3 (04-06-2016)

Thanks

Also, they don't smell, only their poop does, the only thing that determines messiness is personality, my male loves to fingerprint with his food while my older female keeps clean and the other one is less messy than the male but still messy
    Sam

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by holly.dole3 View Post
    Hello,
    I have never owned reptiles before and am intrested in purchasing a crested gecko. I have read lots of care sheets and articles, but as some of the information is outdated, i wanted to ask some questions here as well based on personal experience.

-Are there any temperment differences among individuals? I was wanting to get a female but read that after they reach breeding age they become more tempermental. I was also wondering if one sex smells more than the other of is messier.
    -Which habitat is better and easier to maintain, the bioactivated or all fake? When looking at the prices of substrate, i concluded that it may be cheaper to have a bioactivated to reduce cleaning and decrease the frequency of buying substrate.
    -which live plants can be used?
    -can driftwood be used and which kind?
    -how would you convert a fish tank into a enclosure?
    -if you will be away for a while, should you transport the gecko with you and set up a makeshift enclosure at your destination, or would that cause to much stress?

Thanks! This is a photo of the tank i plan on using, it is a 49 gallon corner tank, it is taller than it is wide and i plan on filling it with climbing stuff.

Firstly, welcome to the Pangea boards. Glad to have you!
    Also glad to hear you're doing lots of research.
    1. I have not noticed any difference in any of my males versus females. It really all depends on the gecko and how they were raised as far as handling. Males have been known to be amorous with hands sometimes. LOL
    2. I find that an easy set up for me are modified tubs with fake foliage and paper towel for substrate. I have the direct opposite of a green thumb so no plants for me.
    3. I'm not personally good on this topic but I seem to remember that there was a list in a post on here some where. Perhaps use the search function to see what you can find.
    4. Drift wood can indeed be used. Sandblasted grape wood is also a popular choice. I like to use fallen tree branches in my enclosures. They are free! I just give them a good scrub down and then bake them at 200F for about 15 mins.
    5. If your tank is tall, you don't really have to convert anything. As long as there is screening for ventilation, then you're good. If the tank is long, there are conversion kits you can buy online to turn it on it's side to make it tall.
    I would recommend against using the tank pictured for a young crested gecko. They do best in small enclosures while they are young. It may be suitable for an adult over 40 grams but even then, I would provide a ton of foliage and multiple feeding stations.
    6. I definitely would recommend against taking your gecko with you as it would only stress him/her out. I agree with having someone look after them while you're gone. If you'll be away for extended periods of time, find a gecko sitter.
    Kelly @ OUROBOROS EXOTICS
    Currently working with Gargoyle geckos, Crested geckos, Leachianus geckos,
    E. Agricolae and E. Vieilliardi
    Facebook.com/OuroborosGeckos
    ouroborosexotics.wix.com/geckos

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Yoshi'smom For This Useful Post:

holly.dole3 (04-06-2016)

Thanks

Thank you so much for all the additional information! That really cleared things up for me! It seems a smaller enclosure may be may best bet after all. I always think more space, happier pet but never considered the extra stress the gecko would have in a large area and the harder they would be to feed. I was originally wanting to get 2 females, but then i read not to get two unless you have an extra enclosure in case aggression occurs and i have none. The larger tank would also be a heck of a job to clean and much harder to find the gecko in.

Thanks

What is the maximum time a gecko will be fine without care? We sometimes make weekend trips and i read that they are okay for that amount of time. Im in college and am more worried about what ill do with her over christmas break and the summer when i move back home. I dont know if i will be able to find someone to watch her over christmas and ill have to bring them back with me for summer but they would be in the same tank, just a different location for that time. The christmad break just may have to be a problem i deal with when the time comes... would the gecko be alright if i transport thesame cage and everything back home? Break is about 2 weeks and i have a hard time even leaving my fish in the care of someone else for that period of time. Although, i may be able to find someone when the time comes, im just trying to plan for worst case scenerio.

Thanks

Of you have an automatic mister like Mistking then you can leave them for 2 or 3 days, just make sure there is food available before you leave so they can eat for a couple days before it dries op or molds, anything over 4 days, you will need someone to look after her. If it's for 2 weeks than bring her with you, put her in a deli cup or small sandwich container with moist paper towel and holed in the lid for transport, keep in a shaded area as direct sunlight into the container in the car can quickly hat the container to a deadly temperature so keep it in the shade in the back seat or something wrapped in a small towel
    Sam

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Last_Creature For This Useful Post:

holly.dole3 (04-06-2016)

Thanks

Got it, all the information really helps a lot!

Thanks

Couldn't have said it better. Last_Creature is spot on about being away.
    Kelly @ OUROBOROS EXOTICS
    Currently working with Gargoyle geckos, Crested geckos, Leachianus geckos,
    E. Agricolae and E. Vieilliardi
    Facebook.com/OuroborosGeckos
    ouroborosexotics.wix.com/geckos