Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: new baby crested.

Thanks

Default new baby crested.

so I just got a baby crested today from the reptile show, he is about 3 months old and weighs 9 grams. I have a few questions since ive never raised a baby cresty before.
    1. he is currently in a small kritter keeper. is that big enough for now or does he need more space? ( I will get exact size later tomorrow)
    2. when o I move him to a bigger tank?
    3. what size can I tell if he is a male or female?
    4. what morph is he? (well get pics once he gets for settled in)
    5. how often and how long can I hold him?
    I think that about covers it. thanks, Lovely Dekstest, and now the newest family member, Phantom.

Thanks

Firstly, I think your gecko may be a bit older than 3 months. 9 grams is HUGE for a 3 month old baby...
    1. I would recommend a medium sized Kritter Keeper until he gets to be about 15 grams. Then you can move into a larger enclosure.
    2. I move mine at about 10-15 grams (depending on specific gecko)
    3. You probably won't be able to tell what the sex is until it gets to be about 20 grams or so. If you have a loupe, you can check for pores. Usually males will drop a noticeable bulge around the 20-25 gram mark.
    4. I'm at work and sometimes my work computer won't show images, so I'm not sure if it hasn't been attached yet or if I just can't see it. I will check back later at home to see if there's one uploaded.
    5. I would let your new gecko settle into his new home for at least 2 weeks before you attempt to handle him. Let him get settled in and start eating on his own. Once he is, then you can start handling sessions of about 5 mins every-other day. I recommend the night that you feed him. Then you can slowly start increasing the time he's out. They take to handling pretty well.
    Kelly @ OUROBOROS EXOTICS
    Currently working with Gargoyle geckos, Crested geckos, Leachianus geckos,
    E. Agricolae and E. Vieilliardi
    Facebook.com/OuroborosGeckos
    ouroborosexotics.wix.com/geckos

Thanks

Here are a few pics of his coloring. We put 2 crickets in with him last night. And he gobbled it. The last photo of him shows his size compared to me pointer finger. The lest one shows him cage until I can get him a bigger one later today.
    Attached Images Attached Images         

Thanks

Your gecko is a Flame with Dalmatian spotting.
    I would also recommend that you get your gecko well established on either Pangea or Repashy before you introduce crickets again. The CGD has all the essentials that your gecko will need and some geckos have been known to refuse CGD and hold out for insects. A diet made primarily of insects is a poor one and could lead to health issues down the road.
    He does look a good deal larger than any 3 month old gecko I've ever seen. They are typically still under 4 grams at that age. Unfortunately there's no way to tell exactly what age your gecko is unless you know it's hatch date. Geckos grow at different rates and there are many factors that affect the growth.
    Either way, he looks very happy and healthy.
    Kelly @ OUROBOROS EXOTICS
    Currently working with Gargoyle geckos, Crested geckos, Leachianus geckos,
    E. Agricolae and E. Vieilliardi
    Facebook.com/OuroborosGeckos
    ouroborosexotics.wix.com/geckos

Thanks

Okay, the person I got him from said he was 3 - 4, possibly five months. She acted like she didn't know what she was doing. She kept on saying like, um...... And idk. Lol. I have rapashy that I feed my adults. Can I use that to feed him?

Thanks

The people I got my adults from only fed there geckos crickets and mealworms. And had them both together in a 10gallon tank with maybe 2 small plants and a water and hardly ever sprayed them. They also used a heat lamp. I was so glad to get them out of there and into a bigger and better home. So about 15 grams move my baby into a 10 gallon tank okay?

Thanks

And should I put calcium with my baby cresty food? And if so, should it be calcium with d3?

Thanks

Is this okay to feed to my adults or/and baby as a treat? They are like the size of a pomegranate seed.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Thanks

No need to add calcium to the diet. Only use calcium on the crickets/feeder insects. I usually dust once with d3, and the next two-three feedings I use no D3. You don't want to overload them with D3 as it can be detrimental.
    As far as the treats, I don't see why not as long as it's not too often. My two came with a bag of that stuff, and they don't touch it. I just give it to the crickets and will feed it off to my roaches once I get them.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Thanks

Okay thank you so much. Is there anything else I need to know??