Thread: Hello everyone.

Thanks

Default Hello everyone.

Hi all.

I hope you are all well.

I'm new here. This forum seems full of helpful people so I've registered and armed myself with a few questions.
    I have finally built up my own vivarium (after years of deliberation) and I decided to monitor the environment before buying my first crested gecko. It have monitored it for three days now. I have researched well but I just want the nod
    from seeming experts before I buy a crested gecko.

The highest temperature in the day has been 24.4C (75F) and the lowest it has dropped to in the night has been 19.2C (66F) It averags around 23.6C (74F)
    Humidity sits between 50 and 55 but has dipped to 47 during the second day. When I have misted in the evening to about 85, I have woken up to it being about 52. Do all these numbers seems appropriate for a crested gecko?

Re Humidity - The tank can dry out quickly in the day with the heat lamp on: from 75 to the 50 within 30 minutes. Is this normal?

What concerns me is I am a teacher and I won't be able to prevent the humidity dropping below 50 during the day should it do so again. I am fine for the moment as I have finished for the Easter holidays and I can keep a close eye on the levels.

Any tips Re humidity would be great, but aside this minor concern is my vivarium ready to home a crested gecko?

Thanks in advance.

Thanks

Just a quick question, does your tank have life plants or fake? What kind of tank do you have? Any chance you could take a picture of it? What substrate? How heavy are you misting? Temperatures seem okay. You do want it drying out between misting but it seems to be drying out really quick. Also what kind of hydrometer are you using? The digital are more accurate. I have had faulty hydrometers too. Are there still water drops in the tank when the hydrometer reads low? Sorry for all the questions, I live in a very dry climate so I have to keep my tanks pretty closed up. I have a tank with a side screen as well as a top screen and I struggle with that one. I am wanting to get a piece of acrylic cut to mount to the side and see of that helps.

Thanks

I have a mix of both real and prosthetic plants.
    I have a well ventilated glass tank and I have actually read that I should try and close some of the ventilation gaps on the top so the moisture cant escape. So that is on the to do list.
    Substrate is a mix of eco-life soil and some kind of forest flooring which a friend of mine uses in his vivarium, which runs perfectly.
    I mist heavy before lights out and, at the moment, twice moderately in the day.
    I'm using a digital hydrometer and it is pretty central to the vivarium located at the back.
    When the hydrometer reads low - water drops can be seen on the real plant and the forest flooring is still damp/dark in colour)

Thanks

Just know that because it is wet in the tank doesn't mean it's humid, humid is how much water vapor is in the air not how wet everything is. You can mist lightly in the afternoon at lunch break as well as coverin half the screened lid in moist paper towel or a moist dish cloth. The temperature is absolutely perfect
    Sam
    C.Ciliatus 4.1.4.4 E.Macularius 1.2.0 Lampropeltis getula floridana 0.1
    Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/Aryas-Exotics-1841922079418266/
    Instagram: @sams_exotics

Thanks

I have done as suggested and my humidity level has sat steady between 60 and 62 for the last 7 hours or so.

I have bought a crested gecko and he couldn't wait to get into his new home

Thank you both for the help and advice.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Jabez For This Useful Post:

Kazzy08 (04-01-2016)