Thread: Tap water

Thanks

Default Tap water

Is tap water okay to use when misting cresteds?

Thanks

It's not reccomeneded but it is okay, it will leave gard water spots on glass and sometimes plastic though
    Sam
    C.Ciliatus 4.1.4.4 E.Macularius 1.2.0 Lampropeltis getula floridana 0.1
    Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/Aryas-Exotics-1841922079418266/
    Instagram: @sams_exotics

Thanks

Agreed. It's not unhealthy, but it will eventually lead to a buildup of mineral deposits on the glass. Use distilled water for misting to avoid this issue.
    3.4.0 Correlophus ciliatus (crested geckos)

Thanks

Correction guys most places the tap water will leave residue behind like it does on dishes however if you live somewhere that has private wells like my dads house in the country or some apartment complexes in Lubbock they don't leave residue
    1.2.0 Crested Gecko (Galaxy, Nanner, Haitachi)
    0.1.0 Leopard Gecko (Charley)

Business starting in 2017 Awesome Surprises (facebook only atm) breeding Cresties and Gargs! May breed other reptiles and species in the future but for now just going to collect them all!

Thanks

I had started to use distilled because of the spots, but I've read that the balance is so off it can be dangerous. So I switched back to bottled drinking water. Has anyone used distilled for years? No I'll affect? My guy drinks the water from the wall, I provide water in his feeding ledge, but I never see that he uses it. So if the water he is drinking is distilled is it health?

I had found this - Distilled water being demineralized, contains more hydrogen and is considered an acid, with a pH of less than 7.0. Any time a human or animal consumes or, in the case of an amphibian, is soaked in distilled water, the body pulls minerals from teeth (if they have them) and bones to produce bicarbonate to neutralize the acid. This can prove dangerous over time. Another problem with distilled water is that acidic liquids will result in the production of more free-radicals, which are molecules that can increase the risk for cancer. There are people who feel that distilled water is safe and healthful to drink, but the mainstream medical community discourages the consumption of distilled water. Likewise, providing pet herps with distilled water is not recommended.
    Rose @->-

Thanks

My misting system runs on distilled water. The geckos drink the water droplets, but they also drink from their water dishes of tap water. I mix their food with tap water. This has been going on for years and they're all fine.
    3.4.0 Correlophus ciliatus (crested geckos)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Treebiscuit For This Useful Post:

Rose (04-02-2016)

Thanks

Thank you! That statement on the distilled worried me. The elimination of the spots is so worth the distilled. I am going to go back to it. I have a natural viv and the stress to my guy caused by trying clean the spots is probably more of a problem and that would be eliminated.
    Rose @->-

Thanks

I use filtered water in my bottle sprayer and when I mix there food .We also use it in our kettle and to cook food in as our water here is really hard and we get a great deal of lime scale build up .