Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good (non-stinky) wood? / Next size enclosure?

Thanks

Default Good (non-stinky) wood? / Next size enclosure?

Hi all,

My baby chahoua is living in an Exo Terra Nano pictured below (where he is watching me on cleanup day), but he is growing like weed so he will soon move to a bigger home. I kept the enclosure simple, just with lots of cork bark so that it is easy to clean and he got places to hide. I really like the grapevine in the picture, the problem is it has gotten really smelly, even though I clean the cage twice a week and pick up poop every day.

Do you know of any other wood (other than cork bark) that does not seem to absorb smells so badly? I tried a piece of mopani in another tank, but that grew so much mold that I decided to take it out. The new cage will have some bamboo in it and also a few plants.

The other question is: what size enclosure would you put him in next? I had a ten gallon ready for him when I got him, but was advised to keep him in a smaller enclosure until he is a bit bigger. Since my juvenile crestie took over the 10 gallon, I now have to shop for another chahoua tank. Would you get the final (adult cage) size right away, or something in between. He just has to move out of the Nano soon.

Thanks!
    Lucia

Name:  IMG_1725.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  96.7 KB
    1.1.0 Crested Geckos "Jackson Pollock" and "Pumpkin Spice" 1.0.0 Chahoua "Urmel" 1.1 Red eared sliders "Freddy Krueger" (25 years) and "Mucki" (45 years) RIP Peppermint (Green Anole)

Thanks

The problem with grapevine is that its a soft wood, so it decomposes fairly quickly. Since you already tried mopani, my two suggestions would be malaysian driftwood and ghostwood. Ghostwood is more branchy but more expensive, whereas malaysian driftwood is a bit cheaper but tends to be more bulky, but if you can get the right pieces its very nice (I used it for my second viv). Both will last a long time in terrarium conditions. As far as mold, it might be beneficial to buy a small springtail culture and throw it in you tank; they will help with mold as well as gecko waste. As far as your next tank, I have never owned a chahoua, but both of my cresteds were in their adult tanks (18x18x24") by the time they were about 15-20 grams. Hope this helps!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to empire3569 For This Useful Post:

Lucia (04-19-2016)

Thanks

Thank you, empire! I had read about ghostwood elsewhere, too. Maybe I will give that a try. Do you know anything about osage orange? It is probably my favorite wood and it is very hard and resistant to rot. Comes in great shapes, too. The question is: would it be safe for my gecko?
    Urmel is 15 grams now, which is less for a PI chahaoua than for a crestie, but I believe he will do fine in a larger tank, so I ordered his adult home right away. You can see in the new picture how much he has grown (and he also likes to show off how cute he is!) - and how much darker the grapevine got.
    Name:  IMG_2194.jpg
Views: 39
Size:  94.5 KB
    1.1.0 Crested Geckos "Jackson Pollock" and "Pumpkin Spice" 1.0.0 Chahoua "Urmel" 1.1 Red eared sliders "Freddy Krueger" (25 years) and "Mucki" (45 years) RIP Peppermint (Green Anole)

Thanks

Unfortunately I have never heard of Osage orange, but the only wood I'm aware of that is not Viv safe is wood from the "pine" family. So as long as its not a pine, and you take some method to sterilize it (baking, pouring boiling water on it) it should be fine. Your chahoua is very cute! I'd love to own one someday, but right now the cost is a little prohibitive though. Hope this helps!

Thanks

Thank you again! I have found a website that listed wood safe for birds, and it had osage orange (bois d'arc) on it. I did not find anything saying it is reptile (un)safe, but I think I will get some ghosted and postpone the expedition to find osage branches in the Brazos valley :-). I got the new tank and some plants already, so I am getting ready for a nice weekend project.

Thanks

Thanks

Haha, here is the first: Urmel inspecting the new tank after I assembled it. Seems really big right now, but considering he should grow to six times his present weight... :-).

Name:  e1aac907e0786c2776b9a352882f552557c940bfa76c715cf3ddba9e4fd1f8cd_full.jpg
Views: 48
Size:  98.5 KB

Thanks

I've never seen a tank like that before; if you don't mind, who is the manufacturer/where did you purchase it from?

Thanks

Sure. I bought the tank from Petown, they sell acrylic tanks to assemble yourself:
    http://petown.net/petown_002.htm

I found the assembly really easy and the whole tank seems well made. The bottom tray unfortunately arrived with a piece of the rim broken off. I fixed it with superglue and think it is fine, but the seller also promised me a $10 discount in return and he would also look for a replacement if my repair did not last.
    So far I am happy, I like that you can hardly see the tank (should look stunning when planted) and that it is very lightweight.

Thanks

Wow, cool tank. I have 2 exo terras and was thinking about upgrading to 18x18x24s soon, but was worried about the weight and shelving options. I might consider these instead