Thread: Cleanning and handling

Thanks

Default Cleanning and handling

Do you guys have any tips for taking a gecko out when you have to clean the tank or change the paper towel? My gecko sleeps like a rock and won't wake up unless i poke him and when he does wake up he freaks out and runs around his tank. I don't like grabbing him but I'm afraid that if I try to get him to climb on a paper towel tube or something he'll jump off and on to the floor.
    He has jumped out of his tank before and landed on the floor... it didn't hurt him but I don't want him to hide under something in my room or get himself hurt.
    What do you think I should do?
    -screams internally-
    1.0.0 Crested gecks
    Niku niku ni

Thanks

Just line a container with moist paper towel, make sure there are hole in the container for air and while your gecko is sleeping just scoop him up,put him in the container and close the lid, by then he should've woken up but he is already in the container so you'll be fine and free to clean the cage, to put him back in just put the container he's in, in the cage and open the lid
    Sam
    C.Ciliatus 4.1.4.4 E.Macularius 1.2.0 Lampropeltis getula floridana 0.1
    Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/Aryas-Exotics-1841922079418266/
    Instagram: @sams_exotics

Thanks

^ ^ ^ I agree with Last Creature. It also sounds like your gecko could use some more handling. When these guys are handled more, IME, they are a lot tamer and don't get freaked out as often. I find it's helpful to make sure my gecko can see my hand and know I'm there. When I try to sneak up on him to get him out, he freaks out. I heard of a gecko who jumped from the top of the stairs when the owner was holding him upstairs. He fell all the way down but was not hurt (surprisingly...). I know what you mean Godbear, my gecko freaked out one time and ran all over the dining room. Really scared me.

Thanks

Yeah, I want to try ti handle him more often.
    One thing about the scoop up and grab method is that my gecko sleeps in those hard-to-reach places... Like right on top of the suction cup for a plant or in the back somewhere my arm can't reach.
    He's hiidng like he's supposed to but gosh it makes it difficult for me!

Thanks

Then take out the plant that he is on and let him climb into the container, or scoop him up off the decoration once you've taken it out
    Sam

Thanks

When I try to get the plant he's close to he wakes up from the movement (he won't wake up for ANY kind of noise but if you touch him he'll bolt) and tried to run out of his tank before I can take the plant out.
    It doesn't help that I'm a pretty jumpy person as well, I think it just stresses him out more
    He ALWAYS has an appetite though... Haha...

Thanks

Hmm, put a dish of food in a container in his tank and at night while he's in the container eating, pop the lid on and you should be good
    Sam

Thanks

I wait until my gecko is out and about at night (either hanging on his branch or on his food ledge) and gently poke his bum to get into my hand. I'm a new reptile owner and was jumpy at first too. But the more you do it the more you get a feel for how the animal will react. I only handle him for a minute or two and then put him back in the cage with a treat (dubia, fresh CGD). He's calmed down a lot. Mine is impossible to get out during the day though as he hides in the same spot as yours... on the suction cup of a hanging plant!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to ayimera For This Useful Post:

Tracy Elizabeth Anne (03-11-2016)