Thread: Help identifying little white(ish) looking mites

Thanks

Default Help identifying little white(ish) looking mites

Hello,

As the title mentions I have found some little white(ish) looking critters in two of my geckos (one garg, one crested) food dishes. Upon closer inspection the crested had some of these things on the bottom of the cage. I immediately stripped the cages, cleaned everything with vinegar/water, doused the tanks in vinegar, and rinsed with hot water. Hopefully this stops the problem. I have one snake that has coco husk for substrate but he isn't anywhere near the one crested that has these critters. All 3 of my geckos have at least one piece of cork bark, while the garg has corkbark and one piece of real wood. I cannot tell if my third gecko has these critters as well but he is mid shed right now so I don't want to stress him by poking around.

I am positive the bugs were NOT red or black, they were white/grey, I tried to poke around at them with a pen - they weren't obviously jumping but I did notice one or two kind of pounce a little.

I have found a video on youtube (not mine) that I think looks similar to my critters, but maybe the ones I saw were a LITTLE bit bigger.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iKIXUJqXOM (Skip to 10 seconds)

I also found a picture of springtails (what I hope they are) but the ones in the pic look darker than the ones I found, mine kind of looked like the one I circled in red.
    Attachment 71166

If anyone could please confirm this for me I would be grateful!

Thank you in advance

Thanks

Hmm, I have some metallic silver/grayish bugs in my vivarium that are the same shape as the ones you pointed out in the picture. They lived in the substrate and are always getting into the food and water. Are your bugs the same shape as the ones in the picture? And kind of grayish/silver colored? If so, I have these in my vivarium. I don't think they're harmful, my gecko has been in the vivarium with them for a year and has had absolutely no issues. They also ate the gecko poops, they are decomposers we believe. If you have the ones I described, I wouldn't worry, they are harmless from all we've seen. Mine don't jump much, only a little, but they crawl around a lot, and they're very small. We have no clue what they are. In a vivarium you can end up with all sorts of interesting bugs, most of them good, no matter how much you sterilize. We Co2 bombed our viv but they still came back.

The critters in the pictures weren't springtails, not sure what they were. These are springtails:
    Name:  folsomia-candida-large.jpg
Views: 11
Size:  37.1 KB
    Maybe you have springtails? They're harmless too.

I got a picture of the grayish bugs in our viv, not a very good picture though, sorry:
    Name:  20160305_171624.jpg
Views: 17
Size:  99.4 KB
    It's the one in the middle, really small, you can see one of it's antenna poking up. You have to click on it for larger image to be able to see it.

Thanks

They are most likely springtails. They show up in tanks whether you seed your tank with them or not. The video you showed on youtube looks like it may have been of a very young springtail, they do get a little bigger than that, though not a lot. They like damp environments and gecko poop. They're not at all harmful, I purposely add them to natural tanks as a clean up crew.

Thanks

^^ agree with the above. There are several different species of springtails and they are harmless, they usually eat gecko poop, left over food bits, process dead plant matter and eat mold in live vivs.

Thanks

Do you all think the silvery/gray bugs I have are springtails? They look a lot like the ones in the picture Scott attached, just a slightly different color. They don't jump but I thought all springtails jump. I have the normal white springtails intentionally too but these silver/gray ones aren't the same thing.

Thanks

Some could be fungus gnats, unless they don't have wings.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Springtail
    “I’m being extremely clever up here and there’s no one to stand around looking impressed! What’s the point in having you all?”-The 11th Doctor.
    1.0.0-Leopard Gecko Ziggy
    1.0.0-Crested Gecko Axel-The Frogman
    0.1.0-Guinea Pig Brownie
    Various insect breeding projects-B.dubia, T. molitor, M. quinquemaculata