Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Appropriate sized container help needed

Thanks

Well, at the age they're at, they're too young to tell gender. Sexable age is usually around 15 grams to know for sure. Sometimes you can tell earlier but 15 grams is the for sure. If you're going to use a screen cage, then I think the LLL Reptile ones are better. I've been doing a good bit of research on the chameleon forums because I've been planning a big screen cage too. From what I've read, the Zoo Med ones rust out so the LLL Reptile ones are more reliable. Humidity control could be an issue with these, but I think covering 2 sides with plexi glass would really help. Just my thought on the matter. A 36x18x36 exo terra would be great too. For housing them together (assuming their females), yes you could have fighting issues, but if they have lots of cover and at least 2 feeding areas, I think it could work out, I've read about others who've done it successfully. But it might be a good idea to have separate cages on hand in case you run into issues and they must all be separated ASAP. They might not all get along enough to be housed together, I've read a post in which someone had two specific geckos that could not get along, period. They would fight and bully each other but they were completely fine with other gecko room mates. So every gecko is different. I think it will be important to monitor weights to make sure everyone is eating well, because sometimes you will have some bully geckos who don't let the others eat. Just a thought.

Thanks

I want a 36x18x36 for 3 females eventually, the 2 I have now are the best of friends and always sleep with each other so I know I'll have no problem with them, but I'll have to keep a close eye once I get a 3rd female. Anyway, you have no idea about actual gender until about 15 grams like said above unless spotted for pores at a smaller size so separation is necessary at the size they're at.
    Sam
    C.Ciliatus 4.1.4.4 E.Macularius 1.2.0 Lampropeltis getula floridana 0.1
    Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/Aryas-Exotics-1841922079418266/
    Instagram: @sams_exotics

Thanks

Ollie - thanks. I have looked at the LLL screen cage and was contemplating getting the one with the extender top and making it 6 ft. I think that would be really cool. I'm 90 minutes away from them and have purposely not gone as I'm afraid I'll want to buy ALL the cages. What I don't like about the screen cages is not being able to plant plants in them.

I have a bedroom that is the parrot room and they get sprayed and I often have a humidifier on for them so I wasn't really concerned about the humidity for the geckos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks

LC - thanks for the info. I had no idea that some sleep together.

The woman I got them from hatched them and said she checked and is certain they're all females. But, that seems to not be possible. I'll wait and see.

I'm now tempted to permanently keep them all separate. I just need to figure out in what. Reptile show is this summer so maybe I'll go and check it out.

Thanks

I use containers because it's easy, cheap, and efficient. You can get a bunch of small glass terrains (5 gallons up to 30gallons) but I find them too expensive and heavy and they don't hold heat/humidity well but it's all based off personal opinion
    Sam
    C.Ciliatus 4.1.4.4 E.Macularius 1.2.0 Lampropeltis getula floridana 0.1
    Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/Aryas-Exotics-1841922079418266/
    Instagram: @sams_exotics

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Joann Taylor View Post
    Ollie - thanks. I have looked at the LLL screen cage and was contemplating getting the one with the extender top and making it 6 ft. I think that would be really cool. I'm 90 minutes away from them and have purposely not gone as I'm afraid I'll want to buy ALL the cages. What I don't like about the screen cages is not being able to plant plants in them.

I have a bedroom that is the parrot room and they get sprayed and I often have a humidifier on for them so I wasn't really concerned about the humidity for the geckos.

About having live plants in there: I think it could work, it would just require some DIY-ing. I'm a big fan of the bioactive vivariums with live plants and all that and have been planning a way to make it work in a screen enclosure. So, they do sell substrate trays specific for the 24x24x48 cages, but they are deep enough. My plan is to make a substrate tray out of plexi glass. I found some how-to instructions here: http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2007/7/diy and http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/fo...uilding.83559/. I think this would be possible but would require some patience. My plan is to make mine 23l x 23w x 9h" so that the substrate can be deeper than normal to support the larger plants.
    Some plants I think would be great:
    - Mahogany fern
    - Rabbit's foot fern
    - Snake plant
    - Dwarf umbrella plant
    - Dracaena (one of the larger species, all are safe)
    - Pothos
    - Wax plant
    - Bird's nest fern
    - Cast iron plant
    - Parlor palm
    - Peperomia caperata (or any other larger peperomia)
    - Kangaroo fern
    - Lipstick vine
    - Alocasia Polly

I won't be using all of these, this is just my ideas list. The vining plants will be mounted in hanging pots. The hanging pots will be covered in silicone and then cork pieces and coco fiber will be attached to make it look natural. Or I might just use cork tubes attached to background and put the vining plants in those, not sure yet. Realistic backgrounds are possible in screen enclosures, but will be a little more complicated than for glass cage. I was looking at a few posts on it, some people have built custom backgrounds by siliconing plexi glass to the screen at the edges and joints, and then building the backgrounds onto the plexiglass. I'm thinking about siliconing zoo med cork tiles to the plexi glass and then silconing plexi glass into cage because I'm not sure if I want to build a custom background. Here's the posts I was looking at: http://www.reptileforums.co.uk/forum...ackground.html and http://www.chameleonforums.com/threa...-tiles.137261/.

I'm going to mount some cork rounds to the background for extra hiding areas, most geckos like to hide in these. I'll also use some branches for climbing on. Sterilized branches from outside work just fine. Ivy branches look particularly interesting and are completely safe for gecko. Here's a thread about it: http://www.reptileforums.co.uk/forum...hameleons.html.

Lighting may be an issue because these enclosures are just so big, but if low light requiring plants are used, I don't think high output lights will be necessary. Not sure though. I think's I'll have to see how it goes without them. But if they do end up being necessary, Jungle Dawn Spotlights may be the best option. I was emailing with Neherp and they said that to completely illuminate the screen viv, you'd need two. Alternative lighting solutions would be the Jungle Hobbies LEDs, a couple Kessil LEDs, or some type of extremely high output aquarium light. I'll definitely be using a Mistking mister because I REALLY don't want to mist an entire 4 foot cage twice a day... . I think plexiglass panels on the side will be crucial in keeping the humidity up (at least in our house).

I'm not sure how long it will be before I can make this, maybe years because we move so much but I love to plan things out. So when I do have the time/space/permission/funds I will be setting this plan into action. I know you didn't ask about all this, I hope you don't mind the unsolicited advice, I just thought it might be helpful.