Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Appropriate sized container help needed

Thanks

Default Appropriate sized container help needed

I'm new to crested geckos and am not sure what size home to keep them in at this point.

I have 4. Their weights are 3g, 6g, 7g, and 12g. I have the 3 biggest in a storage tub that is somewhere in the 30 gallon size. I have the 3g in a 10 gallon tank.

From reading some threads on here, it seems they need to be moved into smaller accommodations until they get bigger. Should I put the 3 larger into the 10 gallon and move the smallest into a 5 gallon tank? Or a different combo of them into something else? I'm completely confused on how to house them at this size and having 4 of them.

Thanks

Juveniles under 10 grams can be kept in quart size shoe box style plastic containers, and a 16-20 quart tub is good for up to around 20 grams I think. This is what some do. After that you can move the gecko into permanent home, 10 gal is bare minimum for adult enclosure, something larger than 20 gal is much better. Or you can use a large critter keeper from the start and move them into adult enclosure when the gecko is around 20 grams. This is what I did, except I moved my gecko into permenant home at 15 grams, he did fine with it. I've seen many differing opinions on this though. Some people move the gecko into permanent home at a smaller weight, and the gecko does fine. Others use a few more different sized tubs and move the gecko up through the different sized tubs.

Are you housing the 3 together? That's generally not recommended. Some of them could reach maturity before you know what gender they are and could mate. If some of them end up being males they will fight. Or if you have males and females, the males will mate with the females before the females are ready which is very dangerous for the females. I would separate the three and keep them each in 5-10 gal enclosures. For your 3g, so long as it's regularly eating CGD, I think the 10 gal is okay. The motive behind using small enclosures for young geckos is to make sure the gecko can find food and not get "lost" in a big enclosure. So long as food is being eaten regularly, it'll be okay, I think.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Ollie H For This Useful Post:

Joann Taylor (03-04-2016)

Thanks

Thank you. The 3 largest are kept together at this point. I got them together and they were kept together before I got them. The breeder said they are all females but I'm not really sure you can tell at this age and size.

I saw the 3g eat the day I brought her home but I put the lid with CGD up to her face. She's (I'm saying she for now) so small that I can't tell if she's eating or not by looking at the left over food.

I'm hoping I have all or mostly females so I can get a big enclosure and keep the females together. I don't want 4 separate cages. I also believe in giving animals as much space as possible so they won't be living in those smaller vivs even if they have to live alone.

Thanks

2-10g-6qt
    11-17g-15qt
    18-25g-30qt
    26-35g-54qt
    35g+ -66-74qt
    Sam
    C.Ciliatus 4.1.4.2 E.Macularius 1.2 Lampropeltis getula floridana 0.1 Boa Constrictor Imperator 0.1
    Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/Aryas-Exotics-1841922079418266/
    Instagram: @sams_exotics

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Last_Creature For This Useful Post:

Joann Taylor (03-04-2016)

Thanks

1-10g-6qt
    11-17g-15qt
    18-25g-30qt
    26-35g-54qt
    35g+ -66-74qt
    Sam
    C.Ciliatus 4.1.4.2 E.Macularius 1.2 Lampropeltis getula floridana 0.1 Boa Constrictor Imperator 0.1

Thanks

And that's them being kept separately? I was really hoping to not have 4 containers going.

Also, does the shoe box size containers come with a locking lid? I only see ones that have a lid that just snaps on. I'm afraid they'd get out.

Thanks

Yes it's all separately, you can house 2 hatchlings in a 6qt tub but only to 6 grams, by then you'll need to separate them for gender purposes, but it is best to house geckos of all ages separate to prevent bullying
    Sam

Thanks

Thanks. What a bummer. I was told the females could all live together. I don't want 4 individual containers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks

They can but you'd need a huge container (110+qts for 4 geckos) and boat loads of fake plants and 2 feeding stations and even then you can still have problems with fighting, best not risk it, I know it sucks, but anything for our animals
    Sam

Thanks

I was planning on either the Zoo Med ReptiBreeze 24X24x48 or the Exo Terra 36x18x36 glass terrarium for the (hopefully) 4 girls. But I'll do whatever it takes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk