Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wanting to get a Tarantula! Good beginner T?

Thanks

Cool Wanting to get a Tarantula! Good beginner T?

Ok, in an endeavor to dispel my fears I want to get one of these majestic creatures. I have been holding some and have been asking questions, but would love to have some input by the enthusiasts here on pangea.

Ok boys and girls lets get to cracking on these guys!!

What would be a perfect first T for a beginner.

As of right now I was looking at fire legs or red legs. I'll try and get the scientific names soon
    ~Christa~
    Avalon Reptiles

" If all the beasts were gone man would die from loneliness of spirit... for whatever happens to the beast, happens to the man" -Chief Seattle-

Thanks

I have never kept a Tarantula but I have friends that do and they are started out with Rosy haired. It is totally up to you. I also think cobalt blue Tarantulas are cool too.
    John Barkowski
    1.0.0 Ice/Sandfire Bearded Dragon
    0.1.0 Beagle Terrier
    0.1.0 Toy Chihuahua
    Unless we act now to stop illegal trade, we will eventually find only a dust bowl, emptied of all its forests and animals.

Thanks

Roseys are sweet,I had one for like 5 years.She was awsome.I miss her.Ide like to get some more inverts.
    Talk to Tokays unlimited(jeremy gentile)to get a pet invert,hes the man.

Thanks

A Mexican red knee (B. smithi) would be an decent starter species, they aren't prone to bitting but will flick hairs so you have to watch for that.

A couple other are a chaco golden knee or curly hair. I've seen to many psycho rosies to recommend them unless you don't mind attitude.

The absolutely nicest T you could ever get is a pink toe but they require a tad bit more care then most beginner species. I have three and they have never shown any aggression.
    ~Waldo is a girl~

Thanks

I'd go with the curly hair. They're goofy looking (like brown Brill-O pads), but calm down easily. I've also got a versicolor that isn't too bad... a bit shy, but very pretty.
    ~Sarah~
    www.CrestedLady.com

"This is your life, are you who you want to be?" -Switchfoot

Thanks

I had a Rose-Hair, they were easy.
    Derek Dunlop
    DDReptiles
    www.DDReptiles.net
    Croc's Rule- Steve Irwin

Thanks

I have a red knee, a pink toe and a rose hair. My rose hair is by far the nicest and easiest to take care of. The pink toe is a spaz (and quite fast) and I don't even touch the red knee because she is still pretty small. I too got my original tarantula to exterminate my fear or them. It worked but I am still a bit leary of ones I don't know and if I saw one in the wild I'd probably still run screaming.

Thanks

Definatly a B.smithi.Long life span,nice colors,and docile personality.
    I agree with waldo 100% though.
    As far as the H.lividium (cobalt blue) the females look nice but they are nasty lil buggers.
    Basically do want something easy and pretty you cant really handle? Or vice versa?

Thanks

Thanks guys!!

Well right now I want some thing I can hold. But maybe later on something pretty to look at, after I have some experience

That is exactly what I am at right now hudakian

I will have to look into the curly hairs they sound to cute!
    ~Christa~
    Avalon Reptiles

" If all the beasts were gone man would die from loneliness of spirit... for whatever happens to the beast, happens to the man" -Chief Seattle-

Thanks

I'm late coming in on this, but I have a Chaco Golden Knee (Grammostola aureostriata) ...very calm and docile, easy to handle... eats everything... and fairly easy husbandry. I also have a Pinktoe.. err, Avicularia versicolor... and she's skittish even though I've had her since teeny tiny and taken very good care of her. I have a Lasiodora parahybana or Brazilian Salmon Birdeater (I think that's the common name)... she's gonna be a BIG spidey kid, hopefully.. 9" leg span! I don't care if she gives kisses and hugs... I don't mess with her! LOL She definitely has the potential to send me to the ER.... DOA most likely... but I like her.* She's cute!

*I have some serious allergic reaction to venom, even low toxin types.
    "Be who you are, and say what you feel. Because those that mind don't matter, and those that matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss