Thread: Want to Change Substrate

Thanks

Default Want to Change Substrate

I want to change my tank to a planted vivarium, but I've heard that hatchlings should not be put in soil substrate. I've had my crested since September and he's still pretty small. When would it be appropriate to change his substrate?

Here's a picture of him on my thumb for reference:
    Name:  g1.jpg
Views: 5
Size:  6.6 KB

Thanks

I'd wait till "he" is 20+ grams, keep "him" on paper towel in a large kritter keeper or a propriety sized container until "he" is about 20g then it will be fine to move it into a live planted viv
    Sam
    C.Ciliatus 4.1.4.4 E.Macularius 1.2.0 Lampropeltis getula floridana 0.1
    Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/Aryas-Exotics-1841922079418266/
    Instagram: @sams_exotics

Thanks

Doing a planted tank takes time. I have a fully bio-active enclosure for mine and it's taken me 6 weeks or more to get everything the way I wanted, I have moved my guy in and he seems to be doing well...I also have an adult.

You can always do the planted tank and give the plants time to grow and let your gecko grow if you're paranoid about the substrate. Adding a top layer of leaves over the soil is best to reduce the risk of ingesting substrate but some crestie's like to burrow in the soil for moisture.

Name:  20160228_153100.jpg
Views: 9
Size:  102.0 KB
    Here is mine.

Thanks

Wow that's a beautiful tank! May I ask what you've planted?

Thanks

Pothos, Bromeliad, snake plant, wandering jew, parlor palm, bird's nest fern, dracanea warneckii and lucky bamboo. I forked up some moss from my back yard and placed that on the background and it seems to be doing well. I'm using a 23W CFL with a 6500K temperature rating because that is the closest to natrual sunlight, it's a little too long for that dome fixture but I used bottle caps to raise the dome up off of the screen. I'll probably get a hood for incandescent bulbs to put the light in.

Thanks

Is the bulb light necessary? I have my tank set up where it gets a fairly good amount of indirect exposure.

Thanks

For the plants yes, I found that using the indirect light from my bay window was not enough for them. I added the light to see if they grow better, the wandering jew was my indication that indirect sunlight was not enough. The leaves of that plant were beginning to fade and some die off, rather too quickly, so I added the light and it has perked up a bit. They do not need any UV/UVB, the plants do not really benefit from UV and neither do cresties. They do sell grow lights for plants, Arcadia is one brand but any fish aquarium lights for plants will do fine, Treebiscuit uses fish aquarium lights and they are much cheaper than the Arcadia bulbs.