Thread: Strange color

Thanks

Default Strange color

My crestie is young, I've only had it for almost a month. When I first got it "she" (not certain) was a darkish orange and would occasionally get very dark. Petsmart sold me "all living things" food but heard bad things so I got the repashy brand. she refused to eat it. I thought it was because she was adjusting and I was having trouble with the humidity. I started mixing in a little of the repashy brand in at a time to try to coax her into eating this better brand. However she just won't. So I went back to the ALl living things. She eats but not a lot. She's now much paler than before and only gets darker when handled. Is she okay? she is very calm and I can handle her with no issue. I started out once a day just kinda stroking her back, now she will hop in my hand and chill with me for about 5 min then I put her back. Her heat and humidity still aren't where I want it, I've ordered her a large cage because I have a rather small one, was a temp thing. So I'm hoping with more room she will flourish, I'm just so worried about her. Any thoughts? Also How do j post pictures here? I wanted to show the dramatic color change.

Thanks

I should mention she had a full shed after I got her, about a week later so it's been almost 3 weeks.

Thanks

I would keep offering the Repashy over the all living things, you can also try Pangea with insects, most of the geckos love that stuff.

As for the color, it sounds like she's fired down most of the time and then fires up when you handle.

Video on firing up and fired down.

How are the temperatures? Most eat more when the temperatures are a little warmer.

Uploading pictures. In the reply box there is a little box that looks like a picture, click on that. Next click on the basic up-loader option, then click choose file and add the image.

Thanks

I agree, stick with the Repashy over All living things. You could try one of the Pangea flavours. My gecko prefers it over Repashy. Well, actually once he had Pangea he refused to even put his face near the Repashy... spoiled gecko. Give it time and keep offering what you know is good for her. She will get used to it, she won't let herself starve so long as good food is available. Also if the gecko is pretty small you may not see much of dent in the dish. Like Jess said, she's just firing up and down, completely normal. My gecko doesn't eat hardly eat anything unless the temp is above 65 F. Perhaps your gecko is too cold?

Thanks

Jess linked an amazing video, I love JB'a Cresties, has some amazing and super helpful videos on the channel! Nike everyone has said, repast or pangea over anything and your geckos seems to just be firing up and down
    Sam
    C.Ciliatus 4.1.4.2 E.Macularius 1.2 Lampropeltis getula floridana 0.1 Boa Constrictor Imperator 0.1
    Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/Aryas-Exotics-1841922079418266/
    Instagram: @sams_exotics

Thanks

For what it's worth, Pangea watermelon is the one that all my geckos like the best. They are not keen on the mix with insects -- weirdos!

As for the colour change, perhaps this small gecko is also starting to lose her baby red colouring. Most youngsters start off with a darker and redder colour than they eventually become as adults.

As for the firing up/firing down, it sounds normal. It's good that you're getting your gecko a larger enclosure. Ensure that your gecko's enclosure has adequate hiding spaces, temperature and humidity, and everything should continue to be fine.

(Also, how much does your gecko weigh? Beware that when they enter the 10-15 gram range, many of them start to act hormonal and weird for a while -- puberty has that effect!)
    3.4.0 Correlophus ciliatus (crested geckos)

Thanks

For what it's worth, Pangea watermelon is the one that all my geckos like the best. They are not keen on the mix with insects -- weirdos!

As for the colour change, perhaps this small gecko is also starting to lose her baby red colouring. Most youngsters start off with a darker and redder colour than they eventually become as adults.

As for the firing up/firing down, it sounds normal. It's good that you're getting your gecko a larger enclosure. Ensure that your gecko's enclosure has adequate hiding spaces, temperature and humidity, and everything should continue to be fine.

(Also, how much does your gecko weigh? Beware that when they enter the 10-15 gram range, many of them start to act hormonal and weird for a while -- puberty has that effect!)
    3.4.0 Correlophus ciliatus (crested geckos)

Thanks

I haven't weighed her yet, was a little nervous too because she was so timid but now she's warming up I will. They had no idea the age but based on what I see in comparison on the internet she is rly young. I'll try to post pictures tomorrow on my laptop it appears k cannot on my cell and I'm stuck away from laptop for the evening.

For beginner crestie owners what is your recommendation for a suitable brand/size living space? Some I saw had breathable front doors, seemed that would be harder to keep temp/humidity in range.

Thanks

Here's my scale. 2-7 grams, 6qt container(3gallons). 8-13 grams, 10-16qt container(5-7ish gallons)13-20 grams, 20-30 qt container(10 ish gallons). 21g-adult(anywhere between 35 and 50g)50-72 qt (25-40 ish gallons) I added the gallons for glass cage sizes but I prefer containers ae they're a load cheaper. Care is the same throughout their life and there is no way to tell age, I have 2, 4 month old babies that are only 2g each and some geckos hatch out that big so there is no way of knowing age unless you know the hatch date
    Sam
    C.Ciliatus 4.1.4.2 E.Macularius 1.2 Lampropeltis getula floridana 0.1 Boa Constrictor Imperator 0.1
    Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/Aryas-Exotics-1841922079418266/
    Instagram: @sams_exotics