Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newbie Adult gecko help

Thanks

Default Newbie Adult gecko help

I just got an adult crested gecko and I'm wondering how different that is from my baby. What substrate should I use for him? I use paper towels for the baby. They are in separate terrariums and will stay that way.

Thanks

I'd stick with paper towel, care is the exact same, 70-78°F mist twice daily(humidity 80-100 but let drop down to about 50 during the day) a 12x12x18 is a bit small for one adult but will work, 18x18x24 is recommended, same food (crickets can be offered once a week or so) just use a milk jug lid instead as adults obviously eat more. And that's that, if it's a female add a lay box (4-6qt container filled with organic peat moss and a whole cut in the lid for access) as some adult females will lay dud eggs monthly and without a lay box she will hold onto the eggs which can make her egg bound and cause a bunch of not very fun issues. And thats it really. Best of luck with your new one!
    Sam
    C.Ciliatus 4.1.4.2 E.Macularius 1.2 Lampropeltis getula floridana 0.1 Boa Constrictor Imperator 0.1
    Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/Aryas-Exotics-1841922079418266/
    Instagram: @sams_exotics

Thanks

You can use particle substrates since the gecko is an adult, but it isn't necessary and is simply for aesthetics. Just make sure not to use substrates with bark chips, it makes impaction too easy. Also, if use any particle substrate, it is recommended that you don't release live food into the enclosure. Most geckos can deal with a bite of small particle substrate, like coconut fiber aka eco earth, just fine but I would say better safe than sorry. Adult care is pretty much the same as baby care, adults are just less fragile.

Thanks

Thank you! I know it's crazy to get a second one since I'm still learning how to care for them but he was the prettiest dark Olive green color and I thought it would be cool for my students to see an adult so they could see how big Beaker will get. I will post a pic of him later. I don't know how to post a photo from my phone.

Thanks

Happy to help. And no, not crazy at all! These guys are addictive. I would get 4 more if I could! Unfortunately, that isn't realistically compatible with my life at the moment.

Thanks

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 10
Size:  16.6 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 9
Size:  15.9 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 10
Size:  16.3 KB. I think I figured out how to add a picture from my phone. This is Mozzie, I don't know how old he is but he weighs about 25 grams according to my scale. I don't think the people who had him before took very good care of him. They had him in the same terrarium with another male about the same size and the people at the pet store said that their cage was filthy and reaked of smoke when they brought them in. I don't think he was being fed Repashy or Pangea, but he was pooping so he was eating something. I don't think he was handled often, if at all. He has been through a bad shed recently I think because there were pieces of shed stuck to him. I did the repti-shed aid and that got most of the shed off. His head looks like it's super dry and almost like it's balding on the top, and a small part of his back looks the same. I just felt so bad for him, he clearly had not been taken care of. I fed him Repashy and he's eaten some of it okay, he's been pretty calm when I handle him but when my sister tried he was very jumpy. I have him in a 12x12x18 exo terra right now but I'll upgrade to the bigger one as soon as I can. I ordered some more flavors of the Pangea for him and Beaker, and I ordered the food/water ledge for Mozzie's terrarium. Is there anything special I need to do for this guy since he's been neglected for who knows how long?

Thanks

Well now that he's on a proper diet he should recover at his own pace. I've found most pet stores here only feed crickets and have the tanks at a constant 80ish° with more then one male in one cage (the most I've seen was 8 in a 35 gallon tank as well as 3 males and a frilled dragon all in one enclosure, they never sell females) and they never feed CGD only over sized crickets and some how all the geckos still have their tails, with an occasional nip or end of tail missing (all they're geckos were thin) anyway, he should be fully recovered in a couple months but looks to have a bit of FTS (floppy tail syndrome) which shouldn't harm him, the biggest I'd go for one adult is an 18x18x24 he's very pretty, I hope he gives you a fast recovery!!
    Sam
    C.Ciliatus 4.1.4.2 E.Macularius 1.2 Lampropeltis getula floridana 0.1 Boa Constrictor Imperator 0.1

Thanks

Thank you! Are the little bald spots just a result from his poor diet or possibly several bad sheds? Will that ever heal? Also, I don't know why my pictures keep posting sideways. And do you know what morph he is by any chance? (I'm just curious)

Thanks

No problem! Those little white spots are just a bad she'd, you can try to wet a Q-tip and gently rubbing his head to get it off. And he looks to me to be an Olive Flame (Olive being that green color) and if he has black spots on him then it'd be dal spotting too
    Sam

Thanks

Depending how bad the bald spots are, they could be from a bad shed and/or from being bitten by his tankmate and then having problems shedding because of scabbing.

What a beautiful guy, and so lucky to have found a caring owner!
    3.4.0 Correlophus ciliatus (crested geckos)