Thread: superworms

Thanks

Default superworms

Hi I just bought superworms for my leo just want to know if I can feed them to my crested?

Thanks

No, it is not a proper diet and will cause calcium uptake issues as well as other potential problems.

Thanks

Thanks for the reply just wanted to know. I got them today and they look a little big for my leo.

Thanks

Well, from what I've seen, super worms are kind of big and it's best to only feed insects that are the size between the geckos eyes. It's recommended not to feed cresties mealworms because they contain a lot of chitin which makes them hard to digest, and superworms are the same way, as far as I know. For this reason, and size, I don't think they are a good food for cresties. Dusted crickets and feeder roaches are much better options. Also, just thought I'd say, insects shouldn't be the main diet. A quality CGD (Pangea and Repashy) should make up the majority of the diet and insects should only be fed once a week.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Ollie H For This Useful Post:

CrestieFan1 (03-01-2016)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie H View Post
    Well, from what I've seen, super worms are kind of big and it's best to only feed insects that are the size between the geckos eyes. It's recommended not to feed cresties mealworms because they contain a lot of chitin which makes them hard to digest, and superworms are the same way, as far as I know. For this reason, and size, I don't think they are a good food for cresties. Dusted crickets and feeder roaches are much better options. Also, just thought I'd say, insects shouldn't be the main diet. A quality CGD (Pangea and Repashy) should make up the majority of the diet and insects should only be fed once a week.
    Thanks my cresties have only been eating Pangea, Repashy and Gorgeous Gecko diets. When I bought them for my leo they were bigger then I thought but not to big for my crestie Jija. I new not feed mealworms but wasn't sure about superworms. So I asked first. Lol not sure what to do with worms now to big for my leo and cresties can't eat them. What kind of worms can I feed my cresties? My brother doesn't like crickets in the house.

Thanks

Well, I've heard of some people using silkworms and they are good, just a little fatty, or so I've heard. It is generally best to stick with soft bodied feeder insects, silk worms fit into that category. If cricets aren't a good option for you, then I would personally suggest dubia roaches. Once you get over the "ICK! It's a roach!" factor, they really are great. They don't chirp or make other irritating noises. They don't smell horrific. They don't jump or climb. You can feed them to your gecko by putting them in a cup in his enclosure. They aren't going to start an infestation in your house if one escapes, unless you live in Florida, and they're illegal there. They aren't that fast moving unless they are warmed up enough. They are easy to breed if you want to do that. I have a small colony for my crestie, probably will end up overrun with dubias, but it's an interesting project. Unfortunately, my gecko has decided he doesn't want to eat bugs anymore... Dubias are great for leos too, the leo can eat the bigger ones I think. You don't have to provide feeder insects for your crestie, not all cresties even like them, but if they do, it's a healthy addition to their diet.
    Last edited by Ollie H; 03-02-2016 at 04:46 PM.

Thanks

Sorry to hijack this thread but while on the subject of feeder worms what about tobacco horn worms? I'm have some pupating right now for my nieces science fair project and I used them for my bearded dragons when I had them.

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk

Thanks

Horn worms are safe for pretty much all reptiles/amphibians, from what I've read. They've been fed to Pac man frogs, turtles, beardies, leos, and chams, just to name a few. I read a post in which someone did feed their crestie horn worms so I think they would be safe so long as they are appropriately sized, but I honestly haven't had any experience with them except to pry them off my tomato plants and smash them into green pulp. Important note: never feed any reptile a wild horn worm. Wild horn worms eat poisonous plants like tomato and tobacco which could really harm the critter who eats the horn worm. Only feed your crestie horn worms that have eaten safe food. Horn worms aren't a very practical feeder insect for most because the grow so quick but if you have a few that are the right size, I don't see any harm in offering them to your crestie.

Here's the thread: http://talkto.thefrog.org/index.php?...ad&topic=23000
    And another one:http://www.geckosunlimited.com/commu...orms-leos.html

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Ollie H For This Useful Post:

CrestieFan1 (03-01-2016)

Thanks

Phoenix worms are also another worm option, though it is a hit or miss with most geckos as to whether they will like them or not. I fed mine a phoenix worm last week and he snapped it up. I have not tried to feed anymore to him yet.