Thread: Breeding Project: Brutal Honesty Requested

Thanks

Default Breeding Project: Brutal Honesty Requested

Hello e'rrybuddy,

I've been considering developing a breeding project in the distant future. It would be quite some time before it ever ended up happening. I have a thing for tri-colors, halloween-ish morphs, and blushers. I currently have one male that I (brace yourselves) miraculously found at a Petco. It appears that Petco will randomly get pretty good quality geckos without realizing they have something worth more. His name is Cinder. I'm still unsure of what kind of morph he would formally be called, but he fires up to an extremely dark base with bright orange harlequin patterning and vivid pink/red under his chin. I've attached a few photos for y'all to see. Name:  IMG_5785.jpg
Views: 13
Size:  87.8 KBName:  IMG_3209.jpg
Views: 12
Size:  88.5 KBName:  IMG_5598.jpg
Views: 15
Size:  90.0 KBName:  IMG_2771.jpg
Views: 10
Size:  86.9 KBName:  IMG_5294.jpg
Views: 15
Size:  85.8 KBAttachment 71084Name:  IMG_5784.jpg
Views: 13
Size:  86.6 KBI specifically want to work on a high-contrast blush line with him.

I understand that being able to have a pedigree/lineage can be a plus on the high-tier market. However, a recent encounter I had with a breeder that many of you would be familiar with shocked me, as they don't provide parent information at all and don't keep track. And this is a breeder that sells cresties in the $70-$1000+ range. So, with all that in mind, is it a bad idea for me to get into the breeding market with this particular gecko? I understand that it isn't a 'easy cash' side job by any means, but herpetology (and specifically geckos) are a passion of mine that I've had for 20+ years and I'd love to be able to add to the hobby. Your brutal honesty is much appreciated

Thanks

Well he is very gorgeous so if he is big and healthy (he also looks to have some really nice structure) then he would be a good breeder in the future. Just make sure that you keep track of relatives so no inbreeding goes down
    Sam
    C.Ciliatus 4.1.4.4 E.Macularius 1.2.0 Lampropeltis getula floridana 0.1
    Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/Aryas-Exotics-1841922079418266/
    Instagram: @sams_exotics

Thanks

Lineage is not as big a deal as some people make it. Just keep track of what you do with it. Every line starts somewhere.
    The structure on your boy is okay... not great, but not an issue.
    If this is a passion of yours and you have a concise goal in mind for what you are trying to achieve, you are on the right track. Think about and research marketability before you jump in. Here is a little honest brutality that you asked for. Blushing will have limited apeal if that is where you are trying to gain an edge. A few people will like it, but there won't be any mass appeal unless you can do something exemplary with it. That will take time and many animals that won't make the grade for your project. There will need to be efforts on your part to sell these animals. It is a commitment. If you are going for the tri-color and haloweens,.. you have some catching up to do. Unless you get some stellar females, it will be hard to compete on the high end level. I understand that this may not be a concern and you may be willing to put in years of work and refinement. I think it is hard for some people to openly discuss with this type of opinion and honesty, but the fact that you asked for it leads me to believe that you are on the right path.
    If you want to pm me about direction and breeding advice based on your goals and investment ability... I will be glad to help.

Thanks

What big Tom said ^^
    Sam
    C.Ciliatus 4.1.4.4 E.Macularius 1.2.0 Lampropeltis getula floridana 0.1
    Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/Aryas-Exotics-1841922079418266/
    Instagram: @sams_exotics

Thanks

Thanks so much for the replies. Tom, all your input is very, very much appreciated, thanks big time. I'll contact you sometime soon for sure!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to kylestraw91 For This Useful Post:

Big Tom (03-01-2016)

Thanks

Tom covered a lot of what I would say.

Also keep in mind that that bigger breeder you spoke to is able to sell animals with no lineage more easily than Random Joe starting out because their name is out there. They are probably one of the first hits when you google "crested geckos for sale." So they are going to be the name a lot of people turn to just on google results alone. (This is not to say that just because someone's name turns up first on google, means they are a good person to do business with... they are just big and/or have been around a long time.)

As far as the lineage thing - I have seen people buy huge lots of geckos to re-sell from larger breeders just to have some stock to beef up their table, but once those animals hit the tables at local shows, they don't sell nearly as quickly, because it's Random Joe selling animals they didn't produce. A lot of people are just looking for pets, so lineage doesn't matter to those folks, but the bigger money in the hobby comes in from people who have a sharp eye for exactly what they want, and those people are going to be more willing to fork out more money. It is work to market & sell! Talk to more breeders, and figure out what might work for you.

Thanks

Here's are some articles I wrote quite a while ago about breeding on a small scale and selling geckos:

http://www.geckotime.com/breeding-le...a-small-scale/
    http://www.geckotime.com/how-to-sell-your-geckos/

Aliza

Thanks

Here's are some articles I wrote quite a while ago about breeding on a small scale and selling geckos:

http://www.geckotime.com/breeding-le...a-small-scale/
    http://www.geckotime.com/how-to-sell-your-geckos/

Aliza