Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Could need some advice on handling.

Thanks

Default Could need some advice on handling.

Hey,
    I'm pretty new to this, so i could need tome advice in terms of handling my gecko. I bought him nearly 2 months ago from a breeder near me and he seems to do fine in his terrarium. He eats without problems and he looks healthy too, but i have one problem with him:

He does not let me handle him. I can't even touch him. Everytime when I'm close to touching him, he simply runs away from me...I'm trying to show him that my hand is no threat by just sticking it in his enclosure and waiting for him to go near and interact with him...it does not really work that well. I don't know what i should do in terms of that...any advice?

Thanks,
    Crelio

Thanks

One of my babies does thesame things, all you need to do is gently grab them and take them out and some will calm down after they're out of the enclosure, if he doesn't calm down then just simply doing the hand walking technique should help, I handle all my geckos daily and even one of my most skittish girls calms down as soon as she realizes it's me picking her up. It just takes time and determination, every day or 2 for 10 minutes just gently pick up your gecko out of its terrarium and just handle it, get him used to your smell and being outside his enclosure and he should start to calm down withing a few days
    Sam
    C.Ciliatus 4.1.4.4 E.Macularius 1.2.0 Lampropeltis getula floridana 0.1
    Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/Aryas-Exotics-1841922079418266/
    Instagram: @sams_exotics

Thanks

Mine is still a butt about handling and I've had him 3 months. He's getting better about not running when I stick my hand in his "home" but I usually wait until he is on his chill bar or cork bark and I'll either take the top off of the tub gently and coax him off the chill bar or take the cork bark out and put my hand near him. Once he's out I try hand walking but he could care less and goes up my arm to chill on my shoulder. If you have long hair, make sure to put it up, I haven't had mine try to "nest" in my hair but I would rather not risk it lol.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jess Johnson View Post
    If you have long hair, make sure to put it up, I haven't had mine try to "nest" in my hair but I would rather not risk it lol.
    Yes, my gecko likes to climb in my mother's hair. Maybe he thinks it's a good hiding place? I don't know, but he gets sort of tangled when he does that so we try not let him up there. What I worry about is that he'll get a long piece of hair down his throat, that happened once and he did NOT like that at all. I had to pull it out.

Thanks

My leopard gecko will climb in my hair if it's slightly wet and tangled up after I get out of the shower but he has claws so I don't worry too much about him, it's the sticky feet I worry about! Lol, last time I had him out my husband was home so I told him that if Axe went in my hair, he would have to go on a rescue mission.

Thanks

Thanks for the advice...bur my problem still remains. When i try to pick him up, even if i approach him very slow, he just runs away as soon as i get near him...should i just follow him in the terrarium and try to pick him up anyway?

Thanks

Yeah, I would try to do the snatch and grab. Once you start handling him a few times, it gets easier.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jess Johnson View Post
    Yeah, I would try to do the snatch and grab. Once you start handling him a few times, it gets easier.
    How am i supposed to pick him up, when he tries to run for his life?

Thanks

Patience, young padiwan. I found it was easier when mine was on a decoration that is easily removed and would get him out right after lights go out, they're still a little sleepy and not as jumpy or flighty.

Thanks

I agree with the snatched and grab technique, when they aren't paying attention just pick em up, firmly hold the gecko once it's in your hand, don't worry cresties are tough so don't worry about it being hurt
    Sam
    C.Ciliatus 4.1.4.4 E.Macularius 1.2.0 Lampropeltis getula floridana 0.1
    Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/Aryas-Exotics-1841922079418266/
    Instagram: @sams_exotics