Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Introduction, set up, and Lucy(crested gecko)

Thanks

Default Introduction, set up, and Lucy(crested gecko)

Hello, Everyone

My name is Daniel. I'm 26 years old and just getting into geckos. My first is a crested gecko I've named lucy. I picked her(not really sure on gender) up at petsmart one day almost on impulse. I have no idea how old she is but they said they had had her around 6 weeks.

The reason I got her was to fill my terrarium after an unfortunate event caused my to lose my dart frogs and tare everything out. The terrarium is an exoterra 36"T36"W18"D unit. I have two 36" compact light hoods on it which run 4-7" jungle dawn led lights from a reptile lighting website, 2-100watt equivalent "Sunlight" 5000K compact flourescents, and 2-25watt exoterra moonlight bulbs.

Inside the terrarium I have ecoearth substrate with spag moss over top. I also have a LARGE corner water container that I have filled with pebbles and rocks to help increase humility. I also have live and artificial plants to simulate a jungle like environment. I also have two food sourse for the powdered food supplement and a worm feeder I just instilled.

Here is some pictures of the setup.

Let my know what you think and if you have any suggestions.

I mist the terrarium by hand twice a day. Once in the morning and once at night. I replace the powdered food supplement every night before lights out.

Here she is.

I don't know what morph she is or even if she is a she lol.

I would like to add another one or two cresties to this terrarium in the future. What are your thoughts on that? Is this terrarium large enough for 2-3 cresties?

Thank you.

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk

Thanks

Nice! Welcome to the worLd of geckos! The tank looks good but old is she or well, if you don't have a gram scale or know her age how long is she? It looks to be a she if she's full grown (males have very large bulges at the base of their tail so that'd be pretty obvious) the cage might be a bit big for a little one if she's little, you can house 4 adults in a cage that big! Anyway, as long as she's finding food and has places to hide she's good. Looks to be a harlequin partial pinstripe but I'm no expert good luck with your crestie! if you have any questions at all feel free to ask away
    Sam
    C.Ciliatus 4.1.4.4 E.Macularius 1.2.0 Lampropeltis getula floridana 0.1
    Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/Aryas-Exotics-1841922079418266/
    Instagram: @sams_exotics

Thanks

Thanks. I sould have mentioned she is around 4" long so definitely not full grown. She is also eating a little every night. Though not a lot.

Thanks

What powered food are you using? If it's repashy or pangea thats great, but be careful about any other brands, they aren't as well received/as complete. I think your crestie has enough side pattern to be a harlequin. Thats a cool set up you have! Just keep in mind that they love to climb and hide and you should be fine.
    If you want to put more cresties in the same cage make sure Lucy is female and only house her with females of similar size(weight). Unless you are planning to breed of course.
    I recommend that you weight her soon so you know if she'll be comfy in that large of a tank, and to see whether you can sex her or not.
    Good luck with your new child...

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Godbear999 For This Useful Post:

CrestieFan1 (02-24-2016)

Thanks

At 4 inches shes probably around 15/20g (estimate) so look at her vent (butt) and just imbetween her back legs, look for lititle "holes" in about 3 rows called pores, males develop these press before their bulges so if she doesnt have Petes then most likely female but you should definitely get a gram scale as its imprtant to keep track of weight
    Sam
    C.Ciliatus 4.1.4.4 E.Macularius 1.2.0 Lampropeltis getula floridana 0.1
    Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/Aryas-Exotics-1841922079418266/
    Instagram: @sams_exotics

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Last_Creature View Post
    At 4 inches shes probably around 15/20g (estimate) so look at her vent (butt) and just imbetween her back legs, look for lititle "holes" in about 3 rows called pores, males develop these press before their bulges so if she doesnt have Petes then most likely female but you should definitely get a gram scale as its imprtant to keep track of weight
    I will get a scale ordered.

I don't see any pores and no noticeable bump.

Thanks

I think the viv looks awesome! Lots of cover and climbing space is most important and you've got that. Looks really nice! A gram scale would be a good idea to make sure the tank is appropriately sized for her weight. Though is she's eating every feeding, it will be perfectly okay. You can replace the CGD every other night if you want and it will still be good. This way you won't be wasting as much food. The tank will be good for a trio or quartet. Just provide more than one food dish so that everyone gets enough. You could always add a little more cover if you feel that they need more stuff to hide and climb in. Also, everyone needs to be around the same weight so you don't any bullying issues. Still, bullying could happen and all geckos have their own little personality. I've read some threads in which two of the owner's geckos could not be housed with each other or they'd fight, but they were okay with other geckos. So, you'll just need to monitor weight and keep an eye on them. Some recommend that you have separate enclosures for each of them in case you run into an issue in which everyone must be separated. Just something to think about. I think it would be fun to have multiple geckos together, I plan to do this eventually, need more geckos first though, hehe.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Ollie H For This Useful Post:

CrestieFan1 (02-24-2016)

Thanks

Oh, and what are the plants you are using? A complete list would be very useful, if you don't mind. I'm planning a large viv in a 24x24x48 and need some more plant ideas. SO much space to work with... I'm particularly interested in the large leaved plant with striped leaves in back underneath broms on stick, and the little leafy ones in the front right. Thanks!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Godbear999 View Post
    What powered food are you using? If it's repashy or pangea thats great, but be careful about any other brands, they aren't as well received/as complete. I think your crestie has enough side pattern to be a harlequin. Thats a cool set up you have! Just keep in mind that they love to climb and hide and you should be fine.
    If you want to put more cresties in the same cage make sure Lucy is female and only house her with females of similar size(weight). Unless you are planning to breed of course.
    I recommend that you weight her soon so you know if she'll be comfy in that large of a tank, and to see whether you can sex her or not.
    Good luck with your new child...
    I am feeding repashy crested gecko diet.
    I also have the mango one ordered for variety.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie H View Post
    I think the viv looks awesome! Lots of cover and climbing space is most important and you've got that. Looks really nice! A gram scale would be a good idea to make sure the tank is appropriately sized for her weight. Though is she's eating every feeding, it will be perfectly okay. You can replace the CGD every other night if you want and it will still be good. This way you won't be wasting as much food. The tank will be good for a trio or quartet. Just provide more than one food dish so that everyone gets enough. You could always add a little more cover if you feel that they need more stuff to hide and climb in. Also, everyone needs to be around the same weight so you don't any bullying issues. Still, bullying could happen and all geckos have their own little personality. I've read some threads in which two of the owner's geckos could not be housed with each other or they'd fight, but they were okay with other geckos. So, you'll just need to monitor weight and keep an eye on them. Some recommend that you have separate enclosures for each of them in case you run into an issue in which everyone must be separated. Just something to think about. I think it would be fun to have multiple geckos together, I plan to do this eventually, need more geckos first though, hehe.
    That's interesting to know. I do have empty aquariums that could be used if needed as additional terrariums. I am wanting this to be a display enclosure for my living room and do not plan on breeding. They will just be treasured pets.

I have 4 small vines in there that when they grow should provide more hiding and climbing areas.

Thanks

Oh, and what are the plants you are using? A complete list would be very useful, if you don't mind. I'm planning a large viv in a 24x24x48 and need some more plant ideas. SO much space to work with... I'm particularly interested in the large leaved plant with striped leaves in back underneath broms on stick, and the little leafy ones in the front right. Thanks!