Thread: "I will finish, what you started."

Thanks

Question "I will finish, what you started."

Hola everyone, my name is John and i'm a new proud pet parent to a cresty!

The reason i am starting this thread is because i just have a few questions/looking for tips,and i figured this would be a good place to come!

Currently i am game planning to set up my crestys exo-terra, because due to his small size im just using a critter keeper. And, im wondering if anyone would know if there was a type of covering or spray (or if its even necessary) to make certain objects safe for my crested gecko.

The reason i ask is because the name for my little guy is Kylo, and i was hoping to get Kylo Ren's mask/helmet as a decoration for his future home! Well that, and i want to try and star wars theme it (at least a little bit). So im wondering if there is anything special i would have to do to the helmet, or other things, to make them safe for Kylo (who happens to be red). One thought i had was to remove said helmet from the tank before i mist it as a precaution, but that could prove tedious. I'm hoping someone could give me advice! Another thought i had was to wrap the helmet in saran wrap, but then it wouldnt be as aesthetically appealing. Thanks for all the advice in advance, and any tips for a first time crested gecko parent is much appreciated!

Oh! and do you guys use lights for night viewing or as a low heat source during the day, and if you do what do you recommend? i know theyre normally fine during the day, but my room tends to be on the colder side!

Thanks again!!!!

Thanks

Hey! I love it's name! All you would have to do to safe proof things for cresties is use lemon juice or vinegar mixed with water, they are super hardy animals and some adults love digging in the dirt so something dirty wouldn't harm them unless it was outside for a while.
    I use the blue nightime heat bulb from exo terra(I think) and use a light dome with a dimmer and set It about half power, this was it doesn't interupt the geckos day/night cycles and provides a bit of heat (my room gets quite cold in the winter so it's needed) so if it's cold I would reccomend blue nightime bulb I never use it for night vewing because I switch over my daytime lights(normal 60watt bulbs) to my nightime ones right before I go to sleep(usually around 8-9pm) so I wouldn't use it to view as much as to heat. Hope I could help happy raising!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Last_Creature For This Useful Post:

JMR (01-29-2016)

Thanks

sounds like a pretty cool theme idea to me.

just be careful to mist a little more heavily if using lights for heat on your tank as that can tend to dry them out more quickly. i'm fortunate to live in an area that doesn't really have much in the way of cold winter weather, and our house doesn't get below 68 degrees so my crew are fine without the lights.

for viewing i turn on a light near my gecko area to provide indirect lighting that isn't as bright. they tend to move around when i do this more than if i turn on the main light in the room. once they get used to your feeding cycle then you may notice an activity pattern. for instance, i walk in and turn on the light to feed and spray them - a couple of my more friendly gex will come to the front of their tank to watch me (I had one that got to where he would come out most nights when i opened the tank to mist). However, i then turn off the light and leave, but sometimes will come back a half hour or so later to watch them some. Usually, turning off the light signals them to come out to eat or whatever so by waiting a little while they have started going about their "normal" business and i can watch them with the indirect lighting. most of the time at least a few of them are at their food dish which is fun to watch too.

enjoy and good luck!
    3.4.13 crested geckos!!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to jmiles95 For This Useful Post:

JMR (01-29-2016)

Thanks

That is an AWESOME idea! Definitely post a picture when your done!
    "I believe that education is all about being excited about something. Seeing passion and enthusiasm helps push an educational message."-Steve Irwin​

7. The Following User Says Thank You to leaveittoweaver For This Useful Post:

JMR (01-29-2016)

Thanks

Thank you all for your responses! Its been more than helpful! I will be sure to put a picture up of it when its done!

Thanks

Alright cool! thanks for the info, i have a lamp in my room that i could use for indirect light. My question with that is, will the indirect light bother them? Or mess up there cycle?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jmiles95 View Post
    sounds like a pretty cool theme idea to me.

just be careful to mist a little more heavily if using lights for heat on your tank as that can tend to dry them out more quickly. i'm fortunate to live in an area that doesn't really have much in the way of cold winter weather, and our house doesn't get below 68 degrees so my crew are fine without the lights.

for viewing i turn on a light near my gecko area to provide indirect lighting that isn't as bright. they tend to move around when i do this more than if i turn on the main light in the room. once they get used to your feeding cycle then you may notice an activity pattern. for instance, i walk in and turn on the light to feed and spray them - a couple of my more friendly gex will come to the front of their tank to watch me (I had one that got to where he would come out most nights when i opened the tank to mist). However, i then turn off the light and leave, but sometimes will come back a half hour or so later to watch them some. Usually, turning off the light signals them to come out to eat or whatever so by waiting a little while they have started going about their "normal" business and i can watch them with the indirect lighting. most of the time at least a few of them are at their food dish which is fun to watch too.

enjoy and good luck!
    Alright cool! thanks for the info, i have a lamp in my room that i could use for indirect light. My question with that is, will the indirect light bother them? Or mess up there cycle?

Thanks

It shouldn't mess up their cycle as long as the light isn't on for an extended time(half an hour+)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Last_Creature For This Useful Post:

JMR (01-29-2016)