Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Starting a Dubia Colony: Need some advice

Thanks

There's a ratios to shoot for with males, I think its 1 male per 5 females or something like that. You can always freeze the excess males and put them outside for the critters.

Thanks

Thanks! My BTS is enjoying them. I am only giving him a couple a week (along with his skink chow). I'm hoping I will have plenty of female nymphs growing out... I will definitely consider freezing any males i don't need as my numbers increase and the BTS can't handle all of them.
    1.2 crested geckos 0.3 ball pythons 3.0 boa constrictors 1.0 jag carpet python, 1.0 western hognose, 0.2 Kenyan sand boas 1.0 cat

Thanks

I think I have a few prego females, they seem a little more plump than the rest of them so I'm hopefully expecting some babies. I disturbed them the other night to give a couple of the smaller ones to my leo and check the male to female ratio again. Don't want too many studs and not enough ladies...

I have found that they go nuts over the CGD so I give that to them as a treat sparingly.

Thanks

1. You can buy Dubia Roaches locally or online. I get mine from https://www.dubiaroachwarehouse.com/ Its cheap and shipping is only like $7. Honestly you don't need a ton. Id order some Extra larges. If you got 200 you can expect half to be male and the other half to be female. Extra Larges should be about 4-5 months old and 1-2 months from being fully mature breeding adults. So if you ordered 200 Extra Larges 100 would be females. Each femal can have 20-40 babies every month. Out of 100 Females you'd be looking at anywhere between 2,000-4,000 babies monthly. This would give you a good start and flow of Dubia Roaches. Whatever you don't feed will just become adults themselves. Also with males you only need about 1 for every 5 females. So out of 100 females you should only need 20 males. You can feed off the rest.

2. I honestly would just start with a 20-30 gallon tub. You want one that has sides taller than 14 inches high. This makes it so you can stack egg crates vertically so you can get every last square inch of room our of you bin to prevent crowding. But I wouldn't worry about that. You will see they prefer to be on top of each other than spread out. Thats where the term colony comes from. Ive had 2,000 in a 20 gallon bin before. You will never want to go with a gigantic bin. They are too bing to clean. Even breeders stick to 30 gallon bins can they are smaller and easier to handle. The only issue you will ever have with "crowding" is males will pick on one another and chew their wings up. This could cause death if the males harass one another enough but it doesn't happen very much. Ive had bins before that I only added food and scraps to for 1 year and never even cleaned it out and when I emptied it, there was over 6,000+ roaches.

3. All my tubs are the clear ones. They do like the dark but they find dark spots inside the egg crates I put in there. I prefer the clear tub because they are slicker than the plastic resin tubs. The resin ones have a very slight texture to them that only baby nymphs can climb and get out of the bins. You can add packaging tape to the top of your resin bin to make it slick so they wont make it out but its for this reason I use clear bins.

4. Ventilation is key to keeping Dubia Roaches. You can drill holes 1/8" for a small amout of Dubia Roaches. But honestly the best thing you can do is cut a hole in the top lid of the bin and hot glue a piece od screen to it. Now the screen is not to keep the roaches in. They would never make it that high. Its to keep other things out. If you get domestic spiders in there they will eat everything and breed very quickly. Also flies will get in there and lay egg causing maggots. All these things are nuisances and can kill roaches leaving bodies behind which cause rotting, smelling, mold, and bacterias to grow. If the roaches ingest this stuff they can die as well. So a key to keep Dubia Roaches is ventilation. Use a utility knife and cut a good sized hole and hot glue the screen down. If your humidity gets too low in the bin you can always cover up a part of the vent to prevent humidity from escaping. If you get one of those hermit crab enclosure gauges that show temp and humidity levels you will want to get your bin between 40-60% humidity. Thats the happy medium for Dubia Roaches.

Lastly, I get all my bugs from https://www.dubiaroachwarehouse.com/ Ive never had a problem with them and they always ship with a 10% over count incase any die. So far I haven't had more than a handful die and I've gotten hundreds of extra Dubia Roaches from them!