Thread: Shedding season

Thanks

Default Shedding season

How will geckos act differently during a shed? I just found mine hiding under a piece of moss after I haven't been able to find him for days, and also his food was untouched

Thanks

They usually hide when they are about to shed and will go off food prior to and after. It's a possibility that it has shed. They will start to turn pale prior to a shed and that's how you know it's going to happen, I would double check it for any stuck shed on the toes, around the eyes and anywhere else.

Thanks

Geckos are uncomfortable just before a shed, and both uncomfortable and probably feeling vulnerable during a shed. They like to be left alone and they won't eat much. They also like to hang out in humid places because that helps the shedding process. They typically eat the shed, and that's a big thing to eat, but a few days after that, they resume eating as normal.

In other words, your gecko is behaving normally.
    3.4.0 Correlophus ciliatus (crested geckos)

Thanks

Yes, he did turn pale. How long does it usually take to shed? How will I know when he is done shedding? He had been hiding under the moss for about a day maybe a bit more. When should he shed his skin?

Thanks

Humidity plays a part in how long it takes them to shed. I have not noticed that my crestie has shed, but my leopard gecko does it with me watching and it usually takes him about 30 minutes, sometimes longer. When they are done, you will notice them out and about again with a brighter complexion and they usually shed a couple of times a month or more when they're smaller and once a month maybe twice once they are adults.

Thanks

I got a baby crestie 2 days ago, he is around a month/ month abd a half old, and today i noticed that he has some shed skin over his head, is he starting to shed or is it stuck?