Thread: Decor

Thanks

Default Decor

So here is a curious question. A while back had fish but seeing how as I cannot keep any of them alive I probably will not get anymore. The question is this, since it is too late to return the decor I was wondering if I could use it in my Geckos "rooms" They have been thoroughly cleaned and soaked in water with no chemicals. I would of course clean them thoroughly again before putting them in with any reptile. I don't mean like big elaborate set ups you see in giant aquariums I'm talking about little 3" Santa's, Owls, Penguins, Trees with silk or plastic leaves, Hides like a sea turtle or Haunted house, etc. None of those flimsy plants that you have to bury in gravel and would fall over immediately due to the weight of a gecko of any size. It's just super curious because the PetSmart I work at has reptile decor but none of it really appeals to me but there is small sturdy decor from aquariums like a small Buddha or Elephant that I would like to use just to put some theme/color in the Terrarium. All thoughts and opinions are appreciated and will be recognized. Please bear in mind I would never use something with sharp edges unless I could soften it with an animal safe sealant/rubber.

Thanks

I use a 10% bleach solution to clean items that I put in the gecko's tank, rinsed really well afterward, of course. This does a nice job of sterilizing things. So long as the items are sturdy enough that they don't just topple over, have no sharp edges, and are sterilized, I think it would be fine. I haven't had much experience with this though, I've only been keeping geckos for a year.
    This site talks about other ways to sterilize things: http://www.moonvalleyreptiles.com/cr...ecting-methods
    Hope this helps!

Thanks

Thanks Ollie! (at least someone replied haha) I was thinking the same thing... And the little decor items are more for holidays and stuff like Halloween, Christmas, Valentines/Mardi Gras, St. Patty's, and 4th of July. They are fairly small so if they do topple no damage will be done to ornament or gecko and they are very lightweight only weigh about as much as my gecko does actually. The main one I may not use is the bamboo tree because it it simply the base and 2 stalks of bamboo going up about 2-3 inches and isnt the most stable. The rest I'm not worried about because they are at least 1" tall and very study or have multiple points that hold it in place like the asian hutch has 2 long fence pieces and the one bar across the top.

Thanks

I honestly do not like the reptile decor, or lack there of, that they sell at the pet stores either. I'm always looking a fish tank stuff, I did pick up a cute spooky tree at Halloween to put in my leo's tank. I have one decor item in my crestie's tub, it's a tree stump with roots that come off of it. I stuffed the inside with paper towels and put a fake plant in it and my crestie loves it. A safe adhesive to use is DAP 100% silicon for aquarium use, I picked up a tube at Home Depot for around $5. You can always glue the more unstable stuff to cork bark or some sort of branch that is heavy so it doesn't topple over.

Thanks

What type of geckos are these decorations for? The major think you need to be concerned about is whether or not they have dyes than will seep out and poison the gecko, or little foreign objects they can ingest. Any types of glitter or decorations where metal is visible are a nono.

One thing you have to remember is these are animals, not people. They don't understand why there is a miniature owl inside their cage watching them constantly and it may them uncomfortable. Your cage decorations really would be better if they are oriented to the type of gecko you are keeping.
    "I just can't even" - White Girls Everywhere

1.1.1. Crestie Fam

0.1.0 Texas Rat Snake (Gotta have something feisty!)