Thread: Reptitherm 500r Question

Thanks

Default Reptitherm 500r Question

I just got the Reptitherm 500r, and the green light doesn't shut off. Like ever. Please help. I using it with a Reptitherm 16W U.T.H!

Thanks

Are you sure there's only one light? (I don't have one, so I have to ask). My other brand thermostats have a green light that indicates the thermostat is on and a red light that's on only when it's heating.

Aliza

Thanks

Yeah, there is only one light & it's green.

Thanks

It turns out I have a reptitherm. The problem with this thermostat is that it doesn't have temperature settings, just a dial that you turn. If the green light is always on, it means that the temperature that the probe measures never gets as high as the thermostat setting. Have you taken the temperature of the place in the enclosure where the probe is? What is it? I recommend you do that with either a temperature gun or a digital thermometer with a probe.
    If the temperature of the enclosure floor (not the air in the enclosure) is below what you want it to be, it's likely that your heat source is just not getting hot enough (i.e. even if you plugged it directly into the outlet it wouldn't get hot enough). If that's the case, either your thermostat is defective (I've found that with some of the zoo med UTH's), or it's sagging down from the bottom of the cage (if that's where you have it) and not making good contact with the surface of the enclosure (more tape--I recommend Nashua tape), or you have enough substrate so the enclosure surface just can't heat up to where you want it. Solutions could include taping the UTH up better, getting a larger UTH or arranging for less substrate

If the temp is exactly what you want it to be: don't worry about the light, it's working. It's likely, though, if you have the thermostat set to the highest setting that maybe you'd get the same effect if you just plugged the UTH directly into the outlet

If the temp is higher than what you want it to be: turn the thermostat dial slowly to a lower setting until the light goes off. After about an hour, measure the temps again. If it's still too high, turn the thermostat lower. Play around with the thermostat until you get the desired temp.

Aliza