Thread: Enclosure Help!!!

Thanks

Question Enclosure Help!!!

Hey Everybody! I've been having trouble maintaining the Humidity in Haitachi's enclosure, which happens to be the Exo Terra Mini Tall. Currently I have him set up with 2 40W bulbs one daylight one moonlite, a digital thermo-hygrometer, 4 plastic plants, a hide, some sphagnum moss, and tropical substrate. I am thinking of doing a Vivarium when I get the chance. Only problem? I'm a known plant murderer. I cannot keep plants alive to save my life. So I'm looking for advice on a simple Viv set-up until I move him into a bigger enclosure and I create a (hopefully) better Vivarium for him.

Thanks

What is the temp in your home? You shuldn't need those 40w bulbs I would think in Texas. Don't stress over humidity, you do not want it to be constantly humid, there needs to be a dry out period as well. I mist twice a day, once in the morning and once at night.
    "I believe that education is all about being excited about something. Seeing passion and enthusiasm helps push an educational message."-Steve Irwin​

Thanks

It's been ridiculously dry so far but also incredibly cold at night. So cold that the Terrarium sometimes will drop to the high 60's which I'm not comfortable with. I want what's best for Haitachi. I mist generally Morning evening and a tiny bit in the afternoons because the humidity drops to the 30's. I would just like to maintain a good Humidity range instead of the huge jumps from the 70-90% range down into the 30-40% range. Our house heater has been on most of the last month or so. I mainly got the lamps for the days where the temps jump to 80 outside and we turn the ac on. I don't want a gecko-sicle haha. I also would like to turn my plant murdering days around and keep a plant or 2 alive for a change... I'm fantastic with animals but terrible with plants (and apparently fish)

Thanks

If you are concerned about keeping it humid enough, you could place a humid hide inside of his enclosure so he has constant access to a humid location without keeping the entire tank saturated.
    12.18.18 Correlophus Ciliatus
    1.0.0 Eublepharis Macularius

Grim Geckos
    >Instagram<
    >Facebook<

Thanks

I've really considered that but his little "room" isn't very big. I bet I could fashion something for the time being until I move him into a Big Gecko Room haha.

Thanks

I have to agree with "leaveittoweaver", you should not need those bulbs. My tanks go down to 68 at night, 75 during the day (winter).
    70 at night, 78 during the day (summer). The lights are drying out your enclosure which is why you are having humidity spikes.
    You could also look into getting a humidifier for the room your little guy is in. Overheating, and saturating the enclosures are big mistakes with Cresties.

Their natural habitat at this time of the year will hit 67, 68, 69F at night time.
    Grippin Geckos Canada
    4.7.1⚥? - Correlophus Ciliatus
    1.1.0⚥? - Mniarogekko Chahoua
    0.1.1⚥? - Rhacodactylus Auriculatus... and MORE...

http://www.grippingeckos.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Grippin-Gec...9775225992793/

Thanks

The highest wattage bulbs I would suggest using are 25 watt.

Thanks

I have a juvie in the same type of enclosure you have, and I was able to place a humid hide on the floor for when he goes into sheds.

Here is a pic for reference what what you can do in order to make floor room.

First pic is before the central plant is place and second is what it looks like once the central plant is in.

http://imgur.com/RZnNRsY

http://imgur.com/uH45gll
    "I just can't even" - White Girls Everywhere

1.1.1. Crestie Fam

0.1.0 Texas Rat Snake (Gotta have something feisty!)

Thanks

Thanks Guys! I had an extra reptile tub from petsmart that I was using for haitachi's baths anyways so I just fashioned it into a humid hide.... Haitachi goes in sometimes but I'm not sure how often I do know he just shed because I've seen more spots appear haha. I use the Moonlite bulb which is a 40W and very low light and actually pretty low heat emitting and I can not find a lower wattage daytime bulb and so I'm actually thinking of replacing it with a plain old house light (energy saving) because with the exception of yesterday I have not really needed it. We came home from work/Store last night and he was really cold so I placed him on a plant near the heat mat I have place on the back glass Turned it on it's lowest setting (it turns off after 2 hours to prevent over heating) and turned the daytime light on for all of 30 minutes before the timer switch to the night time bulb. That was the first time in a while I've used the daytime or the mat for heating. He's now warmer this morning which I'm pleased with I dont know why he got so cold yesterday our house/apt stays comfortably at 76-77 day and night. The humidity issue has been fixed and I wouldn't be able to use a humidifier because he is in our room and my husband gets cold but I overheat extremely easy. We don't yet have another room in which we can put my Haitachi or any other reptiles. We are moving in to a 3 bedroom in the spring from a 2 bedroom.

Thanks

My one plant suggestion to you: Pothos. That plant is impossible to kill; it can grow completely submerged in water, and once I forgot about a cluster I had and it went without water for over a month no problem. It's an extremely hardy plant that will stand up to gecko abuse, and if you want a nice, simple naturalistic viv then grab 1-2 different variations of pothos and watch it take off. You can also try putting some plastic wrap/plexi glass over the top of the tank to hold humidity better, although the humid hide works too. Hope this helps!