Thread: the light issue

Thanks

Default the light issue

Hi there,
    I will buy the leopard gecko on Christmas for my child. I read in one article that they need special full-spectrum light. What does it mean? How to select the right light panel for these creatures?
    Thanks a lot.

Thanks

They don't really need any type of full spectrum lighting. They're nocturnal so they get their Vitamin D from the calcium you dust the insects with.

Leopard geckos need a heat source from under the tank, like a heat pad/cable. If you use an over-head heat source to help keep the air temperatures up, a ceramic heat emitter is best.

Thanks

Thanks Jess Johnson,
    I thought that I could use this bulb https://www.mrosupply.com/lighting/b...lham-lighting/ in my panel to give the light and heat geckon.
    Do you mean the ceramic heater like this http://www.ebay.com/itm/Zoo-Med-Rept...3D331679441928

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by curlzxv View Post
    Hi there,
    I will buy the leopard gecko on Christmas for my child. I read in one article that they need special full-spectrum light. What does it mean? How to select the right light panel for these creatures?
    Thanks a lot.
    As Jess stated they don't need any additional lighting other than the natural day/night cycle. They get their calcium from the dusting of their food items. I would recommend a light dusting of prey once a week as to not overdose your leopard gecko.
    They require belly heat to digest their food so and under tank heater on a thermostat is a requirement. You can get individual ceramic tiles to use as a substrate from Home Depot for very little cost and they are great to help conduct the heat from the heat mat.
    I also use a CHE on a thermostat for my tank. I have a 30 gallon long tank and it helps regulate the air temps across my tank.
    I would recommend against getting any heat bulb that emits a light like the red or blue bulbs. The geckos can see the light from them and it may cause undue stress especially to a new gecko acclimating to it's new surroundings.
    Kelly @ OUROBOROS EXOTICS
    Currently working with Gargoyle geckos, Crested geckos, Leachianus geckos,
    E. Agricolae and E. Vieilliardi
    Facebook.com/OuroborosGeckos
    ouroborosexotics.wix.com/geckos