Thread: New to the Forum, Saying Hi and Asking Some Advise

Thanks

Default New to the Forum, Saying Hi and Asking Some Advise

Hey All, We are new to the forum, so first off I wanted to say hello. I am posting on behalf of my Crested Gecko, Caledonia or Cal. We are happy to be a part of the forum and welcome any advise or comments.

We got Cal a few months back when the weather was nice and warm and moist, he is an adolescent of undetermined age. We received him complete with his tank (12x12x12 Exo with natural branches, fake leaves and eco-earth) and wanted to upgrade him to a bigger tank so we went with the 12x12x18 Exo with fake tree, fake vines and fake leaves and reptile carpet.
    We noticed he wasn't sticky anymore and seemed unhappy/inactive and moved him back to his old viv where he seems to be doing well. We determined it was the humidity that was the issue; it wouldn't hold an acceptable level for more than an hour-ish. Clearly the setup we have is not working and we need to fine tune it before putting him back in the new pad. We are planing on removing the fake tree and carpet and replacing it with some eco-earth and more natural decorations.

While the temperatures are not really a problem with a 40w nighttime bulb and a UTH as an auxillary, should the temps drop, I am still concerned about reaching and maintaining proper humidity, especially now that winter is here (!) and humidity has hit rock bottom.
    The plan, besides the changes mentioned above, is to modify a human-humidifier with tube/pipe hooked into the top of the tank and set it to a HygroTherm controller along with the auxillary UTH to make sure temps and moisture remain stable.

Does anyone have experience with this kind of setup or have a more novel, simple or effective alternative they wouldn't mind sharing? Thanks in advance and thanks for letting us into the discussion!

Thanks

Welcome to Pangea! I have had a crestie for nearly 11 years and pretty recently ended up getting 2 more. The original crestie, "Spencer", was kept in a 12x12x18 from the time he was tiny. There were times when the humidity seemed a bit low, but in general, here's what worked:
    eco earth and real plants (pothos), a fake vine for him to sit on and for the plants to climb up, covering part of the top of the cage with a piece of plexiglass just laid on top, a bowl of water at the bottom of the cage to help with humidity, misting every night. These factors all came together to keep the humidity up. Last year I began to notice that Spencer was too big for his cage. He was always trying to get out and romped around the cage every evening. Eventually, I switched him with my gold dust day gecko who isn't nearly as mobile. She's currently in the 12x12x18 and Spencer is in a 10x24x24. He rarely tries to get out, has lots of plants to frolic in and appears more content.
    I hope this is helpful.

Aliza

Thanks

I too use plexi glass covering the top of my Exo's; I use two pieces and cover about 75% of the top. Holds humidity very well

Thanks

Thanks a ton for the advice. for about $40 and an hour or so of my time i built a pretty righteous misting system (Human grade humidifier, plastic surgical tubing and silicon calk) that seems to be keeping things pretty tight in terms of humidity. Cal is still in his old tank while i get things squared away with the new, bigger gecko apartment.

He still isn't all that sticky though. It has been about a week since i saw him climb glass. Impending shed possibly? i cleaned his toes with a moist q-tip but that didn't help too much and there doesnt appear to be any stuck shed that i just may have not been around to witness...any thoughts?

Thanks

My gecko has trouble climbing things if they are too wet because he just slides off. Also if the glass or other climbing items are dirty, he might be having trouble because he can't get an even stick. He could possibly have some dried CGD on his feet, it's really hard to tell when that happens to mine. Giving him a "gecko bath" seemed to help.
    You said you were worried about humidity... I was having the same issues. I found that putting a lower wattage light in, like 25 watts, and covering some of the screen on the top really helped. One thing, constant high humidity is not the best. It needs to drop and dry out a little at some point during the day.
    Hope this helps!