Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Multi-level Terrarium

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Panhandle of Texas
    Posts
    418

    Default Multi-level Terrarium

    So in the future I was thinking about making a multi-level enclosure for my Crested Gecko. I won't do it until I move it to the full sized Enclosure but I don't want to stack multiple Terrariums rather I'd like a way to make Permanent platforms (somehow) for it to climb (it will be a baby when I get it so don't know sex) on and sleep on.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Jacksonville, Fl
    Posts
    126

    Default

    One idea that I plan on doing when I build my next viv (whenever that will be :P ) is to take pieces of malaysian driftwood and mount them to the back using gorilla glue or something similar; this will give you the "ledge" look while still looking very natural

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Panhandle of Texas
    Posts
    418

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by empire3569 View Post
    One idea that I plan on doing when I build my next viv (whenever that will be :P ) is to take pieces of malaysian driftwood and mount them to the back using gorilla glue or something similar; this will give you the "ledge" look while still looking very natural
    Oh coolio. If you don't mind I might use your idea for my little guy/girl's Permanent terrarium which will eventually be the 18x18x24 Exo Terra

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    389

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by empire3569 View Post
    One idea that I plan on doing when I build my next viv (whenever that will be :P ) is to take pieces of malaysian driftwood and mount them to the back using gorilla glue or something similar; this will give you the "ledge" look while still looking very natural
    Instead of Gorilla Glue, use Great Stuff expanding foam and mount the driftwood into the foam, Then coat the dried foam in blue or brown silicone and dust with coconut fiber. Poof incredible terrarium background

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Panhandle of Texas
    Posts
    418

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RhacIns0mniac23 View Post
    Instead of Gorilla Glue, use Great Stuff expanding foam and mount the driftwood into the foam, Then coat the dried foam in blue or brown silicone and dust with coconut fiber. Poof incredible terrarium background
    Awesome Idea! may use it if I ever get terrariums without backgrounds haha. The kit came with a background and the bigger Exo that I'll buy when the baby grows up more will come with one too haha... but who says I'll stop at 1 gecko haha shh don't tell my hubby

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Jacksonville, Fl
    Posts
    126

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kelby675 View Post
    Awesome Idea! may use it if I ever get terrariums without backgrounds haha. The kit came with a background and the bigger Exo that I'll buy when the baby grows up more will come with one too haha... but who says I'll stop at 1 gecko haha shh don't tell my hubby
    The great stuff is a good idea and looks really good when covered in silicone/coco fiber, but I would still look into using gorilla glue to mount the actual driftwood; it can be heavy and you wouldn't want it to peel away from the foam. The foam is fairly strong when dry, but if it were me I wouldn't want to take any chances. Then you could just spray the foam around the wood and get the same effect/look with more secure ledges

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Waterford, MI
    Posts
    1,055

    Default

    I've used the expanding foam/silicone/eco earth method for backgrounds and it's awesome. A little messy... but so worth it. They just look great when they're finished.
    Kelly @ OUROBOROS EXOTICS
    Currently working with Gargoyle geckos, Crested geckos, Leachianus geckos,
    E. Agricolae and E. Vieilliardi
    Facebook.com/OuroborosGeckos
    ouroborosexotics.wix.com/geckos

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •