Thread: Hello from Texas

Thanks

Default Hello from Texas

Hey everybody, my name is Mandi though I respond and go by everything under the sun. I'm currently doing my best to come to terms with some difficult stuff right now and the only way I know how to do that and have always done that is with the help of animals. I'm happily married with a 2.5 year old daughter and a 3 yr old dog (may as well be twins... otherwise best friends) I now continue with the urge for even more animals. I have managed to keep my Betta Fish Lucky Chances alive for a little while now but have a need for even more. I want to give my animal loving hands a try at crested geckos. I work at a Petsmart and was able to hold a juvenile eyelash geckos yesterday and fell in love immediately. At this moment I am not prepared to purchase a crested but once we move I will begin my process of getting ready starting with buying the terrarium. I'm so excited I can't contain it! Any advice or suggestions to make sure I start of right with my first reptilian friend(s) would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in Advance, Mandi!

Thanks

Welcome, Mandi...

Thanks

For your first crestie (which is always the most exiting) here are some things from me, a personal lover of cresties that you should know
    1. Have LOTS of plants, I try to keep a 60/40% plant cover to open space in all my tanks because if there are only one or 2 plants they can feel unsafe and stress a lot
    2. Most pet stores I've seen only ever feed crickets to crested geckos, so make sure to have repashy/pangea for your little one and 2-5 crickets once a week. Change out the old CGD every second day to make sure it doesn't mould
    3.Cresties are nocturnal so it's rare you will see your baby out and about in the day, also don't worry if you don't see it eating, they eat only at night time, a good rule for nocturnal animals is "if it's pooping, it's eating" and that's all you gotta worry about
    4. They don't get very large (about 9 inches at most with the tail) and are usually very chill so they're usually great around kids unless you got a jumpy one
    5.don't forget it is a reptile meaning it has special humidity/temperature requirements, though room temperature(70-80F) is perfect, misting you'll want to do 2 times a day, lightly in the morning and heavily at night, let the humidity drop to around 40-60% during the day
    6. You will rarely, if ever, see your gecko shed
    7.use paper towel and keep the baby in a medium kritter keeper (kk) until it's about 15-2p grams, an 18x18x24 might be big for a 20g gecko but if it's heavily covered in plants and the food is easy to find, it should be perfect for the rest of its life (eco earth/organic peat moss substrate can be used when the gecko is older/larger)
    7. Every gecko grows differently! So if your baby is a year old and only 20g then it means you got a slow grower! But it's normal, so don't worry yourself about you not taking care of the animal properly if it's small at an older age
    8. You won't know it's gender until about 15-20g, males will get a big bulge at the base if their tails and females will stay flat.
    Best of luck on getting your first reptile! When you get one crestie, you won't be able to stop post pictures if you can of the little one when you get it!!
    Sam
    C.Ciliatus 4.1.4.4 E.Macularius 1.2.0 Lampropeltis getula floridana 0.1
    Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/Aryas-Exotics-1841922079418266/
    Instagram: @sams_exotics

Thanks

Lolz I definitely appreciate it Last_Creature but I've had Haitachi for about 2.5 months now and she's quite happy and healthy. She's looking to be a probable female at 10.8 grams a few days ago and I stay up late most nights so I do get to see her out and about fairly often. I make it a point to hold her almost everyday for a short amount of time. I feed her alternating Pangea diets and crickets once a week. I also work at PetSmart and disregarded everything my coworkers told me and joined on here to learn about them because my coworkers were not very helpful at all. She is currently living on paper towel covered substrate in a 12x12x18 which she will be moved from at about 20-25 grams or there abouts. I also have a Leopard gecko from ACPart that I will receive when shipping resumes and 2 more cresteds from Yoshi'smom that will also ship later on in the spring time. and from there the addiction will continue in the fall with 2 babies from yoshi'smom a garg and a crestie. and will breed one of the cresteds im getting in the spring next year in 2017 if she hits weight.

Thank you for the tremendously late welcome and I appreciate any and all input Months behind or right on queue.

Thanks

That's so awesome!!! So sorry I didn't realize how late I was on replying
    Sam

Thanks

No biggie. I have seen people reply to posts that the thread apparently went dry 1-2 years ago haha. So I'm overly worried about it. just figured I'd let you know I've been here a while.

Thanks

Alright no problem :P
    Sam