Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So I wanna build a multi terrarium

Thanks

Default So I wanna build a multi terrarium

So I have some plans for a multi until viv it'll be 4x4x2 with 4 at 4x1x2 I'll attach the plans in a min. But I have a few questions its gonna be wood and I'm gonna do multiple layers of non toxic acrylic with multiple layers of water based non toxic polyurethane and let it dry a ton but I'm also doing a live viv and will have the great stuff background that will be painted and coated as well with a draining system from all the pots and everything I'll sketch up for u guys to see what I mean. My concern is if I have the hydro layer then mesh then soil will that constant moisture eventually ruin the wood? I've read polyurethane isn't 100% water proof they are gonna be pretty heavily planted and if there happens to be water sitting on the bottom with the clay balls, which I wouldn't keep it wet all the time, would it still seep through? Thankyou all and here are my plans

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Thanks

sorry had to hop on the comp. here you go.

Name:  gecko cage plans.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  22.4 KB

Edit: i cant figure this attachment out, but thats what its gonna look like im gonna post my progression as i build it, but im gonna draw up the draining system and will figure thatone out haha hopefully.

Thanks

You should look on Dendroboard, there are a couple build threads there with people who have waterproofed custom plywood terrariums. I don't remember them off the top of my head but if you do a quick search on the website you should be able to find something

Thanks

I'm interested in building a terrarium too, I guess I should join Dendroboard.

Thanks

We ended up using an epoxy for the bottom of our wooden cage because we were worried about water proofing, but that wasn't planted. If I was planting it, I'd have gone for an even more waterproof marine epoxy or adding a pool liner. Look into what people who build plywood aquariums use for waterproofing. It might be overkill, but it'll definitely be sufficient.

Thanks

Overkill is preferred I would much rather send a little extra now then have the bottom rot out lol if only xpvc wasn't so damn expensive...

Thanks

ok so ive been browsing for a bit and people say marine grade epoxy, and that makes sense, seeing as its on boats haha, so im gonna do a bunch of coats of that, anyway ill have some videos up soon within a couple weeks of me building it, ill post em up here. thank you guys for your help!

Edit: Found this on dendro https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FDU...ature=youtu.be

Thanks

So I finally got the tubs for my geckos they are 70qt I went ahead and built em I'm just waiting on the screen and more fake plants should be here tomorrow. They are plain green ivy but I have some nice orange maple leaf garland and white roses coming in December they were super cheap to not get! I'll update it when I put em in But here's what I have so far! They are defiantly stressed but they should be better once I put in the plants. . Left is female and right is male. I just used a solder gun for holes and wedged bamboo through some.

Thanks

So I was wondering why my female wasn't moving much and looked really grey so I picked her up and it turns out she is shedding her skin was completely in tact just on her still like a giant onesie haha I took an ok pic u can see it at her neck

Thanks

So I started the build. I'm using 2x2s as a frame and 1/4 inch ply for the sides and top. The back and bottom are going to be half inch. And I have polyurethane that was giving to me but I think I'm gonna use that on my ball pythons cages. Right now I'm waiting on more plywood and pond armor. Should have it within the next couple weeks I'll post updates as it gos. Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1449015721151.jpg
Views: 8
Size:  6.5 KBName:  uploadfromtaptalk1449015733004.jpg
Views: 9
Size:  16.4 KB. So I'm gonna pond armor the inside. And stain the out side and do some poly coats. And use rough ceder for trim to make it furniture grade. My couple concerns are the doors. Im doing all glass front which is easy for top and bottom but the doors I'm lost any ideas will be great. Also anyone have experience with using pond armor on great stuff?