Thread: Crestie embryos died/trouble shooting?.

Thanks

Default Crestie embryos died/trouble shooting?.

I'm fairly sure my four previously fertile crestie eggs have gone bad. I was really looking forward to these eggs hatching. The eggs were expanding at first so I assumed they were fertile. Now that I'm fairly sure all four are molding away , it's been a huge disappointment for me. I need some troubleshooting advice.
    The eggs were set in hatch 'em media inside cockroach containers from Petco.I tried to check on them regularly and keep them moist.
    I had setup housing for the potential crestie hatchlings already. I was starting to wonder if I might need an incubator for sucess here, but the problem is I might only breed them once and then I have this expensive piece of equipment. I currently have no desires to build a breeding group of crested geckos or breeding them on a regular basis.

I don't have many options to try again. Most of my cresties are either too small, young or males.
    I have two adult female cresties, one is a small adult that I don't really want to breed and the other one is the one I bred before. I assume she shouldn't be bred again because it would be bad for her health and since she is quite plain looking, I had to be prepared to house hatchlings for a while just in case.
    So I 've decided I'm going to save up my pennies for a new fancier crestie momma, maybe in the spring time depending on how much money I can earn this winter. In the meantime, I will troubleshoot and learn so my next batch of eggs doesn't go bad.

It's been hard....A family member released one of my juveniles bought from Pangea reptiles in to the house possibly never to be found again, one of my other juveniles had a nasty accident and almost died and now the huge disappointment with these eggs.
    Trying to get my mind off these setbacks , focusing on the potential of raising five lovely juvenile cresties, being grateful that the rest of the geckos are either thriving or doing OK and possibly the potential of having a prettier batch of crestie hatchlings later on.

Thanks

Can you link to what kind of cockroach container you're talking about? I'm not familiar with them.

Thanks

I could take a pic, they are like deli cups with netted lids.

Thanks

So there is a lot of air exchange?

Keep in mind that in nature, the eggs are hidden several inches under ground, not a ton of air exchange happening. I used to use egg incubation containers that had a few pinholes in them, but I found I was having to add a lot of liquid back in to keep things moist, and in doing so, sometimes there was too little or too much humidity.

Using a larger container (super large ziploc box or so: http://ziploc.com/en/products/contai...arge-rectangle) and keeping it entirely closed, no holes, except to vent once a week for a few seconds helps eliminate tons of guesswork and keeps the eggs at proper humidity. A few years back, Repashy made a statement on his forums saying that using containers larger than deli cups also helps a bit with temperature changes... things will heat up pretty quickly inside a tinier enclosed space, which can be detrimental for eggs.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Jaybee For This Useful Post:

ExoticDreams (10-19-2015)