Thread: Terrarium safety issues.

Thanks

Default Terrarium safety issues.

A little while ago I made a terrible mistake with my cresties. I felt awful and then I got a lot of hate on the internet over it. I've been deciding back and forth whether to share this incident in another place.
    I used a small jar as a cricket feeding container. One of my small cresties went in, got trapped ( somehow was unable to climb out?) and then got dehydrated while being trapped in the jar. Unfortunately during this time I went away over the weekend on a small bike tour, came home late at night exhausted, went right to sleep so by the time I checked on the cresties the next day, this crestie was found in distress trapped in the feeding jar and needed a lot of TLC to come back.

Needless to say, I'd like to prevent such accidents happening again if anyone has any tips?. Preventing any accident would be good so it doesn't have to only incidents over accidently trapping cresties in containers.
    For instance, I 'd like to put a moss hide in each enclosure to give them an emergency place to go if they get dehydrated.
    The great irony was that I keep small bowls of moss at the bottoms of the enclosures of smaller crested geckos to help prevent dehydration, but it didn't do any good when the crestie got trapped in a jar and was unable to access it.

Thanks

Those of us who have kids do our best to keep them safe, but we can't think of everything. It's the same with cresties. We could quit our jobs and do nothing but sit around and watch them to keep them safe, but that's not very practical. It sounds to me as if your crestie had an unanticipated freak accident. I imagine you've changed things so that doesn't happen again. There's always a chance that some other unforeseen thing will happen. We do the best we can, but we're not God! A moss hide certainly doesn't hurt, but if you're away for a few days and don't get to mist, that would likely dry out too. Just make things as good as you can and be prepared to respond to unusual circumstances as you apparently did in this case.

Aliza

Thanks

I'm sorry to hear about your experience, I was recommended a shallow dish by the pet store to feed worms and stuff, perhaps that might help...

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk
    Rimbaud can be found at rimbaud.renton.es - if she feels like it!

Squiggle can be found surveying her kingdom, no website for this one though...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 799 Posts

You should avoid leaving live foods in with most reptiles, it's best to supervise live feeding just in case something weird happens. Especially with babies & juves. There are ways to immobilize crickets, such as removing back legs, refrigerating for 5-10 minutes.
    Specializing in Crested Geckos
    Working with Uromastyx | Uroplatus | PI Chahoua
    Also keeping: Australian Shepherds (Chester & Sadie)
    Moon Valley Reptiles | MVR @iherp | Facebook

Thanks

Yeah, I usually feed insects in a separate kritter keeper. The little ones tend to just hop around in there and lose interest.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ExoticDreams View Post
    Yeah, I usually feed insects in a separate kritter keeper. The little ones tend to just hop around in there and lose interest.
    I find that if I put in only 1 or 2 crickets at a time, the cresties are able to focus and attack. If there are too many crickets in there at once, they can't focus and end up not eating.

Also, two of mine, when they were youngsters, took literally months to figure out that crickets were food. Both later went cricket crazy. (Only one of them cares for crickets now that he's an adult, though). Another one of my geckos won't eat crickets unless a crushed one is held right in front of his face. I think he may be too lazy to hunt in general but he also seems to need that extra smell of cricket guts in order to want to eat them.

Geckos certainly are individuals with individual tastes.
    3.4.0 Correlophus ciliatus (crested geckos)

Thanks

You should stop worring.....accidents can happens to evryone....is the course of life....thx for sharing this eill be a leson for all ....geckos are courious animals and they will try to go in any place in the terrarium...soo we must be carful

Thanks

Its okay, you didn't know. Accidents happen. Just never out duct tape in a reptile enclosure and yoh will be fine, trust me, that was my biggest mistake.

Sent from my XT1042 using Tapatalk

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Cchapman For This Useful Post:

ExoticDreams (10-23-2015)