Thread: First crested gecko and forest attempt at a vivarium

Thanks

Default First crested gecko and forest attempt at a vivarium

Hi everyone,

I have gotten my first crested gecko and I am crazy about the little guy. I currently keep him in a sterilite tub on paper towels with toilet paper and paper towel rolls. I feed him cgd every other day and I just fed him some tiny crickets and he went crazy over them. I bought a 12x12x18 for $50 off of someone on Craigslist and did it up vivarium style. I have placed a drainage level, barrier inbetween the drainage and substrate, I mixed eco earth with sphagnum moss and some orchid bark for the substrate. I bought a dome light and a few 6500k CFL's I really hope that this will get the job done. Does anyone use this kind of setup? what lights do you all use? is everything mentioned okay for him to move into once he grows larger? he weighs approximately 4-5 grams right now. unsexed extreme harley...

Not sure how great it looks compared to everyone else's masterpieces but mine is very plain. Lol

I am not sure how to post a picture... so this really sucks. Lol

Thanks

Welcome to the forum. The viv sounds good. The only light you really need is something to help the plants grow. I use setups essentially like this. I also have live plants, though adult cresties can be hard on plants. Pothos grows well, especially if it has a fake vine to use to train it up. Sansevieria works also. You may want to get one of those magnet ledges to put the CGD bowl in, though I have been successful putting the bowl on the ground. I also have a hide at ground level and sometimes my crestie sleeps under it. It is a good idea to keep the crestie in the smaller enclosure at least till it's 10 grams or so, though I did put my first crestie in an enclosure that size when he was very small and he did well. I had my crestie in the 12x12x18 for at least 7 years or so, but during the summer I got the feeling that it was too small for him -- he always seemed to be trying to get out and jumping around it. I switched him with my gold dust day gecko (who doesn't seem to move around much) and now he's in a 21x10x24 and much more content.

Aliza

Thanks

oh okay! sweet! I ended up getting 2 plants for my tank, Dracaena, and schefflera...

I finally found a way to post pictures! I have to be on a computer for sure.
    Here is a picture of my enclosure
    Name:  12113056_10153239921483831_1462906193_o.jpg
Views: 61
Size:  97.1 KB
    Here is a picture of my little guy
    Name:  11982512_10153239921453831_1645165236_o.jpg
Views: 24
Size:  96.6 KB

Thanks

Looks good!

Aliza

Thanks

I ordered a small magnaturals hideaway for him. Still thinking of keeping him in his current enclosure (critter keeper) until he gets larger.

Thanks

Your setup looks really nice! The few critiques I would add

1. Your drainage layer is a bit low, I would consider in the future making it a little higher so your substrate doesn't get too wet
    2. Keep an eye on your substrate itself; since you did a custom mix, you want to make sure it doesn't start to "compact" which can result in anaerobic conditions and kill your plants
    3. Consider a clean-up crew (springtails, isopods) which will help cycle the tank and remove any waste material

You could add some leaf litter as well, my geckos both sleep in it from time to time, it can help protect the geckos from accidentally ingesting pieces of substrate, and it is good for the overall well-being of the tank. And I really like that branch! It seems I always have bad luck trying to find cool branches for vivs