Thread: Dehydrated Crested Gecko w/ Watery Poops

Thanks

Default Dehydrated Crested Gecko w/ Watery Poops

My crested gecko has been looking more dehydrated as the week goes on. His eyes are looking sort of sunken in and his skin stays folded/ridged whenever I pinch it upward. He also has been having very watery clear poops. Other than that, he seems perfectly fine and his activity levels are normal. I have dripped water on his nose to try to get him more hydrated and he licks it off. Any ideas on how to get him better hydrated? And are the clear poops a bad sign and what should I do?Should I be worried? I am new to reptiles and he is my first gecko. Not sure if this is helpful but he is around 23 grams, living in a 18x18x24 tank that is fully planted. He has a tendency lately to bite at leaves and my fingers thinking that they are feeder bugs (he really likes bugs). I mist once in morning and once in night heavily.

Thanks

Is he doing this when handled or removed from his enclosure?
    Mine urinates when removed from her enclosure because she dislikes being handled.
    You could give him a gecko "bath" to help rehydrate him. Do you keep a water dish inside of his enclosure for him?
    12.18.18 Correlophus Ciliatus
    1.0.0 Eublepharis Macularius

Grim Geckos
    >Instagram<
    >Facebook<

Thanks

He does it when handled. I have not seen him do at any other time. Yes, there is a shallow water dish big enough for him to submerge himself partially if he wants to. I have given him a gecko bath before when he got his food stuck on his feet. He's not extremely dehydrated, maybe I am overreacting but I just want to make my little guy is okay.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 799 Posts

Watery poops could be a sign of change of diet. Has he lost or gained any weight recently? Have you ever had him tested for parasites?
    Specializing in Crested Geckos
    Working with Uromastyx | Uroplatus | PI Chahoua
    Also keeping: Australian Shepherds (Chester & Sadie)
    Moon Valley Reptiles | MVR @iherp | Facebook

Thanks

Do you find solid poops inside of his enclosure?
    Is it like diarrhea or is it clear like urine?

Grim Geckos
    >Instagram<
    >Facebook<

Thanks

Thanks for the replies! There have been no changes in diet recently. I did give him some insects on Sunday but he has bugs every weekend so it's not really a recent change. He hasn't lost any wait but he has been gradually gaining because he is still growing. I haven't had him tested for parasites.

Thanks

Solid poop is found inside enclosure but the soil intentionally has cleaning bugs in it to take care of waste so I often don't see the poops.
    The watery poops are clear, like urine. Do geckos urinate?

Thanks

Yes, as a stress/defense mechanism sort of thing. I have not noticed any of mine urinate inside of their enclosures when left alone but as soon as I remove the female, she pees on me — every single time.
    I am not sure if they do this outside of stressful situations but I do know it can happen when handled.
    If he is doing good otherwise, I would think he is fine but if you want to be cautious, you can still have a vet examine a fresh stool sample for parasites. You will need to be mindful of his enclosure and watch for fresh poops if you decide to have a vet check for parasites.
    Here is a somewhat amusing thread about geckos peeing on their owners.
    http://www.pangeareptile.com/forums/...-CG-Pees-on-me

Grim Geckos
    >Instagram<
    >Facebook<