Thread: Finished project

Thanks

Default Finished project

A few weeks ago I posted asking for tips and tricks on building your own enclosure from scratch. That thread didn't get many responses, but I thought I'd share the finished product. This took over 100 man hours of labor and I feel like we made every mistake imaginable along the way, but I'm really happy with how it came out in the end. The cage is a dual cage for two geckos. Nano whose cage will have an alice in wonderland theme and a new gecko that will be arriving on Wednesday from one of the sellers on this forum whose cage will have a bee/honey theme (he's a cute orange and black tiger stripe and reminds me of a bee).

The total dimensions are 16X24X24 (split in half). The primary construction is 3/4in birch plywood pin construction with lexan bottom and doors and 1X1 inch poplar framing on the front. The bottom is sealed with food grade epoxy and the sides and back are stained and sealed with several coats of polyurethane (because the epoxy turned out to be a huge pain). All of the joints are sealed with silicon aquarium sealant and I'm pretty sure it would hold water if we needed it to. The perches are drilled in with wood glue and nails holding them from the back. The branches are ghostwood from NEherps. The doors and tops hold closed with neodymium magnets plus the latches that you can see on the tops. If someone tells me how I will rotate the photos.

Name:  20150928_191121.jpg
Views: 75
Size:  92.3 KB

Name:  20150928_191207.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  90.0 KB

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Nano For This Useful Post:

ExoticDreams (10-28-2015)

Thanks

It looks gorgeous. Would you consider some real or fake plants to give the cresties a little cover?

Aliza

Thanks

Haha, of course. This is just the hard build. Nano will get a garden of fake roses and the new gecko will get fake sunflowers plus leaves on the branches and fake vines. There are also a number of hides (including really nice hanging hides and humid hides for each gecko) and ledges to be installed. Right now we are just trying to get it aired out and ready for the new gecko's arrival.

Thanks

Love it! Great work

Thanks

That is awesome man I plan on doing the same but its gonna be 4 cages wide! And 4 foot tall. I have a few questions. Are you doing live plants? I plan on doing a greatstuff background with plant pots all the way up and everything I'll be sealing the bottom half with epoxy and the top with polyurethane over it all and then silicone and cocofiber on top. My other question is how water resistant do you think it will be? Not gonna have water all the time on the bottom but there will defiantly have some and I don't want it to ruin the wood. Thank you. And I'm gonna try to add my quick draft design

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Thanks

Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1445999961917.jpg
Views: 25
Size:  19.3 KB I started a thread but I wanted to ask someone with first hand experience. I never saw this post before I made that haha.

Thanks

I responded to your thread with a recommendation for the marine grade epoxy. I did not plant mine (paper towel substrate), so I only used the sort of epoxy you would use for finishing a bar. That has worked quite well thus far, but it has only been a month. I can't really make out the legend on your plans, but I'd be very sure to include enough ventilation. That has been a minor issue in my build thus far. I'd also be careful installing the screen dividers. I've heard enough stories about geckos pushing through those that we ended up opting for a lexan divider. I'll be excited to see how yours turns out.

Thanks

Thank you I just noticed it was you that gave the idea haha thank you. I'm gonna get the fine metal screen and do it 1' down from the top and the whole 2' width so it should be plenty of vent! Thank you so Much again I will defiantly keep you posted!

Thanks

And I'm gonna staple the h*ll out of it around the perimeter