Thread: Hi, does anyone have experience with growing 'shrooms in their viv?

Hybrid View

Thanks

Default Hi, does anyone have experience with growing 'shrooms in their viv?

Hi,

I found these glow in the dark mushrooms for in a Terrarium, i wondered if anyone already grows these?
    And if so how long do they stay good?

Thanks

They're probably fine -- but keep in mind that when they're mature, they'll release spores (because that's what mushrooms do). You may want to pick them before they do that to help keep the air quality in the viv good.
    3.4.0 Correlophus ciliatus (crested geckos)

Thanks

Hi,

Thanks for the reply, not all Shrooms release spores.
    They can spread by mycelium or by spores or both.
    But i think these do in fact.

I wonder how the effect would be in the viv at night, seems pretty cool to me.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jody View Post
    Thanks for the reply, not all Shrooms release spores.
    Actually, all mushrooms are spore-producing structures. Not all mycelia produce mushrooms, but all mushrooms produce spores -- that's what they're for. You may not see the mycelium glowing because mycelia tend to grow underground, under bark, etc., in protective environments, but the fruiting bodies (mushrooms) stick out to help with spore dispersal. Spores have small diameters and can get lodged deep inside the lungs, so even when they're not likely to germinate and are non-toxic, they're not good to inhale.
    3.4.0 Correlophus ciliatus (crested geckos)

Thanks

I've never intentionally grown mushrooms in a terrarium but I've had some unidentified LBMs (little brown mushrooms) sprout naturally in a paludarium i set up with tropical fish and green tree frogs from time to time. Their spores and subsequent decomposition did not seem to harm the animals in any way but rhacs may have different sensitivities. I'd google the species you're interested in growing to check for toxicity or allergen info (or to see if they're growing medium is dangerous) but I'd expect that with adequate ventilation and hiding spots the lizards would be fine. However, the mushrooms might be too delicate to handle geckos jumping on them. On a related tangent, I'd bet you could inoculate rounds of wood with shelf fungi like conks or reishi to make sweet natural ledges!

Thanks

I've had mushrooms grow spontaneously in various gecko cages for years. Just had another round of mushrooms in a cage that's had the same substrate for over 6 months. They don't last long and no one seems to be affected in any way.

Aliza

Thanks

I want to cut the heads off before they release theire spores anyway to make spore prints for making new cultures to make new stems with mycelium. There are several glowing mushrooms around but like you said im not sure if they can cary the weight of a gecko.

Thanks

I Woke up to little white mushrooms in the floor of my terarum ...Can someone tell me why these little white mushrooms just started to grow out of my Coco.

Thanks

There are probably spores somewhere, either in the coco or in the air. It happens sometimes. I think they're lovely.

Aliza