Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New Live Vivarium

Thanks

Default New Live Vivarium

Hello everyone! Been awhile since I've been on here, but I just spent the last week revamping my gecko's tank into a full live vivarium, so I thought I would share pics (I also have some pics of the build process if anyone is interested)

Full Tank Shots
    Name:  IMG_0179.jpg
Views: 5105
Size:  99.4 KBName:  IMG_0185.jpg
Views: 1098
Size:  96.5 KBName:  IMG_0186.jpg
Views: 1163
Size:  95.7 KB

Close ups of plants/bottom
    Name:  IMG_0180.jpg
Views: 1005
Size:  100.8 KBName:  IMG_0181.jpg
Views: 1043
Size:  100.6 KB

I used four pieces of cork tubes in total to make the "branches" that come out of the background. The background itself is a combination of a cork bark mosaic/Great Stuff. For the drainage layer I used NEHerp LDL, then a screen separator, and then NEHerp substrate mix. The top is a mix of moss/magnolia leaf litter. Tank is also seeded with a colony of springtails and dwarf isopods for a cleanup crew. Plants were all chosen due to flexible stems so that if the gecko walked over them they wouldn't break and be crushed. Plant list:

Sansevieria (snake plant)
    Peperomia argyreia (watermelon peperomia)
    Peperomia caperata (ripple peperomia)
    Peperomia scandens
    Pellionia repens
    Pellionia "watermelon"
    Pilea nummulariifolia "Creeping Charlie"
    Korean Rock Fern
    Cryptanthus bivitattus (earth star)
    I also have a couple Ionantha Tillandsias on the way that should be here later this week

Tank has been finished now for a couple days, I will post pics as it starts to fill in
    Attached Images Attached Images    

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to empire3569 For This Useful Post:

angelclawdust (11-22-2015),Emmy (06-16-2014),KarenLR (05-30-2016),Margaret H Block (08-08-2016),SideShowMom (10-07-2014)

Thanks

Looks great! Would love to see your build photos.

Thanks

Looks amazing! I hope it works out well for you. In the past I have made numerous tanks that were just as beautiful as that on day one then all the plants just die one at a time and it becomes sticks and dirt. Not saying this will happen to you I just could never understand it! I even used the Jungle Dawn LED's from NEHerp to light them!

Thanks

Looks great! Very realistic. I set up a mistking system about 2 months ago, and the plant growth since then has been amazing! I highly recommend setting up one of those.
    1.1.4 Crested Geckos
    0.1.0 Boxador (1/2 Boxer-1/2 Black Lab)
    0.1.0 Girlfriend who likes my geckos but doesn't understand the obsession.

Thanks

thank you for the kind words! So here is some of the build stuff:

I started by just siliconing the entire back and parts of the sides with black silicone, and then let the dry for 24 hours. next I siliconed the main branches to the glass, and placed the flats for my background
    Name:  IMG_0149.jpg
Views: 952
Size:  95.1 KBName:  IMG_0148.jpg
Views: 916
Size:  95.4 KBName:  IMG_0147.jpg
Views: 913
Size:  94.8 KBName:  IMG_0145.jpg
Views: 903
Size:  94.6 KB

Then I went ahead and added Great Stuff to all the gaps in between the cork flats
    Name:  IMG_0152.jpg
Views: 896
Size:  93.3 KBName:  IMG_0151.jpg
Views: 884
Size:  95.0 KBName:  IMG_0150.jpg
Views: 886
Size:  92.8 KBName:  IMG_0153.jpg
Views: 872
Size:  93.5 KB

Once the great stuff had dried, I covered it with brown silicone and then pressed dry Eco Earth into the silicone
    Name:  IMG_0157.jpg
Views: 923
Size:  94.0 KB

After that it was just adding the drainage layer, screen seperator, NEHerp substrate, and then plants/leaf litter moss. RhacIns0mniac23, Im sorry to hear that all your plants died! Im hoping that doesnt happen to me! insaneglitchx, I have heard great things about the mistking; I was thinking about getting an exo-terra monsoon, but until then its just the old spray bottle :P

I actually just picked up a couple neat ferns at my local nursery and was thinking about rearranging some stuff, so if I do Ill post updated pics
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks

Also Just on a side note about the construction: if anyone plans on doing this in the future, do NOT use hot glue to connect cork rounds together! I did that for the little "Y" branch, and it lasted about 4 days before it started to separate and I had to take it out and redo it. I ended up using Gorilla Glue, which I would HIGHLY recommend, as it is crazy strong. it expands and is yellow, but again I just covered it with brown silicone/eco earth, and now I have a rock solid, natural looking branch!

Thanks

I really love this viv! The mosaic of cork on the back really adds to it and the rounds are amazing. Well done!

Rachodactylus Ciliatus

MUNKEY, PEACHES, MORROW, THIMBLE, KILI, GOLLUM, FALCOR, CHEECH & VALENTINE

Rachodactylus Auriculatus
    1.2.1 KEKO, ARRO, PEBBLES & FALCOR

Thanks

I have an update; I didn't like the peperomia "watermelon" plant as I didn't feel like it fit the theme of the tank, so I pulled it and replaced it with an awesome green/silver fern (which I do not know the name of). Here are the updated pics

Full tank
    Name:  IMG_0194.jpg
Views: 948
Size:  98.8 KBName:  IMG_0197.jpg
Views: 886
Size:  97.9 KBName:  IMG_0198.jpg
Views: 904
Size:  99.3 KB

and some closeups of the plants on the ground (including my new fern!)
    Name:  IMG_0195.jpg
Views: 870
Size:  99.2 KBName:  IMG_0196.jpg
Views: 884
Size:  101.5 KB

the Tillandsias came in, will be mounting those in the next day or so. I think I finally have the bottom how I want it, so I shouldnt be moving any plants around down there anymore

Thanks

That looks amazing! That gecko is going to love you!
    1.0 Crested | 1.0 bearded pygmy chameleon

Thanks

I love the look of this. I am currently looking to do something similar with cork rounds and I was wondering what moss you have placed on top to give it the natural look and also how you got it to stay in place