Thread: Threadworms

Thanks

Default Threadworms

Our child has come back from school with threadworms and I'm wondering if any of you know whether a crested gecko can catch them from humans.
    I know we can catch them from the gecko and have always made sure my hands are clean whenever I handle her and wash them after handling her.

Any advice would be appreciated...
    Rimbaud can be found at rimbaud.renton.es - if she feels like it!

Squiggle can be found surveying her kingdom, no website for this one though...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 799 Posts

It may be possible for humans to spread it if geckos are susceptible to the same species of threadworm or pinworm. Most parasites are very specific to the host species, but there are many species of many parasites.

It's best to play it safe to avoid transmission to the geckos as they could then host the parasites to reinfect you or your child. Thorough hand washing and disinfecting of the common areas of the house are important. Good luck!
    Specializing in Crested Geckos
    Working with Uromastyx | Uroplatus | PI Chahoua
    Also keeping: Australian Shepherds (Chester & Sadie)
    Moon Valley Reptiles | MVR @iherp | Facebook

Thanks

We're visiting the vet on Monday, we emailed him and he said it's worth doing a precautionary treatment.
    Turns out there's a possibility of transmission of threadworms between reptiles and humans and vice versa.