Thread: Male broke into female's cage

Thanks

Default Male broke into female's cage

My red Lothario managed to tear the mesh from the inside of his cage lid (split fish tank into two cages) and I found him in my female's side this morning. They weren't together but were perched right next to each other. I put him back in his cage (after repairing the lid) and I could swear he's sulking! He immediately tried to jump out and into the female's cage when I opened the lid to service the tank tonight.

I wasn't planning to breed them but now that they've been together for most of overnight, is it likely that they could have mated? How long do breeders normally leave the female and male together?

And yes I'm sure some people might say "why don't you just keep two females in that cage?" Well, months ago I bought a gecko that the breeder told me was female. A couple of months later and HE dropped his package. The rest of my geckos are all male except for the young unsexed hatchlings.

Thanks

Considering they are quite opportunistic breeders, I would guess they did the deed at some point during their time together haha
    I have not bred geckos thus far but I have read of geckos breeding within minutes of introduction.
    If you end up with fertile eggs, good luck with the hatchlings!
    12.18.18 Correlophus Ciliatus
    1.0.0 Eublepharis Macularius

Grim Geckos
    >Instagram<
    >Facebook<

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Inquisitive For This Useful Post:

Creepella (09-03-2015)

Thanks

They certainly could have bred. It doesn't mean that you are definately going to get viable eggs. It will depend on where she was in her cycle and whether or not she retains sperm. Breeders keep pairs together for a week or more. This time period gives no evidence as to whether or not your girl is gravid now.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Big Tom For This Useful Post:

Creepella (09-03-2015)

Thanks

She can definitely store sperm! I bought Ghost last fall from a breeder who had been using her for breeding. About 3 months after I got her, she started laying eggs. 4 clutches were fertile. She definitely wasn't with any of my males. Her last clutch was laid in May, that clutch was sterile. She hasn't laid since. In the past week I've noticed she's looking more plump, but maybe that's my imagination.

I am guessing if they mated they might produce interesting babies, at least. Rufus is deep red/orange with (I think) super dalmatian spots. They look like big blobs rather than spots. She's buckskin (pale greenish brown) with dalmatian spots. Both have big heads, and he has huge crests. I'm not familiar with crested gecko genetics, but maybe they'd produce red babies? Her previous babies were all harlequins.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 799 Posts

I would keep them separate unless you want babies from the pair. While a "one night stand" might very well produce offspring, some females don't accept males right away, and some inexperienced males are too shy to press their luck.
    Specializing in Crested Geckos
    Working with Uromastyx | Uroplatus | PI Chahoua
    Also keeping: Australian Shepherds (Chester & Sadie)
    Moon Valley Reptiles | MVR @iherp | Facebook