Thread: Drain layer w/ ceramic balls staying submerged?

Thanks

Default Drain layer w/ ceramic balls staying submerged?

So I set up the drain layer and put the mesh between the ceramic balls and the substrate but the water has completely submerged the balls and I'm afraid that's "drowning" my plants.

Any suggestions?

My plants have been dying at an alarming rate lately and I can't figure out why.

Thanks

How many inches of clay balls do you have? How many inches of substrate? How often and how much are you misting the enclosure?

Aliza

Thanks

It's just a single layer of the balls and then ~3 inches of substrate. I mist about once a day and not too much. I keep it at 55-60% humidity.

Thanks

You need about 2-3" of clay balls. That's probably the problem, not enough depth of drainage layer.

Aliza

Thanks

Definitely need a thicker layer of clay balls. When I had my poison dart frog enclosure up and running I even went one step further and put crating at the bottom, supported by small 1 inch PVC pipes, then put the clay balls on top of that. But that was a much larger enclosure and it made sense to do it that way. At the very least you should increase the thickness of the clay balls. It might also not be a bad idea to put a PVC pipe in 1 corner that runs from the top of the tank all the way to the bottom, that way you can syphon out water when the water level gets too high.
    Thanks,
    Jason
    1.1 Correlophus Ciliatus
    1.0 Gekko gecko
    1.1 Uroplatus Sikorae
    1.0 Python regius