Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Please help! Hatchlings lost weight

Thanks

Default Please help! Hatchlings lost weight

Hi guys,

I have like 4 hatchlings 2 are 3 weeks and the other 2 are 1 week old and they all lost about 0.1 grams in the last week. They did dat because i monitored them and found Poops and so. Other than that they have like all they need enough hiding places and such. I give them CGD every day. And chance the paper substrate every 3 days. I mist once or twice a day depending on temps. What could it be? They should have gained at least a little but they lost weight. Please help!!

Thanks

Since the time you noticed their weight loss, have you continued to see fecal matter? How high are your temps?

Thanks

Yes saw fecal matter. Temps are fluctuating inbetween 21-25 Celcius.
    Its just same temps as the parents live in.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn Galaxy S5 met met Tapatalk

Thanks

Anyone else had an idea what it could be?

Thanks

At such small sizes, I think you might worry less if you weigh them less often (and possibly think about feeding them less often... my hatchlings seem to waste too much food if I give fresh food every single day).

Only weigh once every 2 weeks or so. Weigh them before eating so you get an "empty" weight. You have possibly weighed them when they were "empty" after you weighed them when they were "full," hence the discrepancy.

Thanks

I dont really think so as they have full time acces to fresh food i wont think all 4 would be 'empty' as you said. other than it will never be fully empty unless they dont eat for a very long time which i do not hope so. i extra hand feed them now with a waxworm that i cut the head off and let them lick the juices. I hope this helps. And when going for example from 1.87 to 1.77 i call a significant weight loss. I did however moved them once to another enclosure. they are now all 4 in a 40x30x40 cm enclosure where they have 2 food dishes in and enough places to hide.

Thanks

I usually keep my hatchlings in much smaller enclosures than that. I start them in extremely small critter keepers, and then move them up from that. So id say your weight loss is possibly due to the fact you have them in such a big enclosure. Try moving them into something shoebox size and im sure you will see an increase in weight instead of a decrease.

Thanks

I wouldn't say the enclosure is huge, but being housed with other animals can contribute to staying small as they have to vie for food and shelter. I also don't recommend hand-feeding, as that can add stress as well.

A good poop can be .1 gram, and yes, they can and will fluctuate that much when they are pooping.

I really do recommend just putting fresh food in every 2 days;
    In the larger enclosure, use 2-3 feeding stations in different places near their favorite hiding spots;
    Don't weigh them so often;
    when you weigh, only weigh them empty to get accurate results;
    Don't hand-feed or fuss with them so much because this can add stress.

My biggest recommendation however is to not house all 4 together.

They are very low-maintenance animals and you should just have to add new food every other night, and mist every night. Live food once a week (that they pick up themselves!) can help with growth rate.

Thanks

well thanks for the advice i had them in separate enclosures before the weighing but i thought maybe they feel more free in the bigger enclosure so i placed them there. i do not over handle them just hand feeded them when i noticed they did not gain weight but lost weight. other than that i wait with re placing them in a seperate enclosure becaus i dont want te keep stressing them. i will stop the hand feeding for now. give them another week? and than weigh them again to see if there is progression. i have a complete diet so feeder insects should not be nescesarry? they have enough shelter for now and 2 feeder dishes 1 on each side of the tank. would you recomment trying some fresh banana to feed inbetween the cgd feedings? you should recomend to give them crickets to let them catch themselves? Thanks for the advice these are my first hatchlings and i was a little worried, so i appriciate the help.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 799 Posts

I agree with JB's suggestions. Separate housing has given my hatchlings better growth. You also know who is pooping and who isn't - which is a better measurement than weight since reptiles can retain weight without eating pretty well. Most weight loss is probably from pooping. Also, moving them around can reduce their appetites.

I feed 3 times a week which IMO makes them more likely to eat when food is presented. Live foods aren't necessary but they have given a lot of breeders higher weight gain. If that's the kind of thing that is important to you.
    Specializing in Crested Geckos
    Working with Uromastyx | Uroplatus | PI Chahoua
    Also keeping: Australian Shepherds (Chester & Sadie)
    Moon Valley Reptiles | MVR @iherp | Facebook