Thread: Dried up baby so confused

Thanks

Default Dried up baby so confused

Hello so let me get rite to it. 2 days ago I went to spray the herd which is about 30 babys rite now and I noticed one of them was completely dried out almost dead. Now I know 100% I sprayed the nite before and I use small kks for babys. So I highly hydrated it and got it going again to normal in the past 2days. I won't up this morning to the same baby now passed with red marks on its belly. The only thing that has been done differently the past week is I was waiting for my Pangea to get here so I had to buy rapashy from petco. I can't see this being the problem as everyone else is fine. Any suggestions?

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 38
Size:  88.0 KB

Views: 33
Size:  89.9 KB

Thanks

Did you incubate on vermiculite? The paled out head looks like the aftermath of having eaten vermiculite when hatching or eating the first shed.

Thanks

No I can't remember the name of it but here's a pic..

Views: 22
Size:  99.3 KB

Also the baby is a month old already

Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 799 Posts

I'm sorry for your loss.

I don't like Kritter Keepers for cresties because they dry out too quickly. Do you keep water with your babies? Do you run an air conditioner or fan in the same room?
    Specializing in Crested Geckos
    Working with Uromastyx | Uroplatus | PI Chahoua
    Also keeping: Australian Shepherds (Chester & Sadie)
    Moon Valley Reptiles | MVR @iherp | Facebook

Thanks

A fan. I think next season I'm just going to make my own containers

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Big Tom View Post
    Did you incubate on vermiculite? The paled out head looks like the aftermath of having eaten vermiculite when hatching or eating the first shed.
    The pale coloration happens I believe because bloodflow ceases and blood pools in the lower portions of the body due to gravity; I don't believe it has anything to do directly with vermiculite/hatching medium specifically but just indicates death, as I have seen it in offspring that have not ingested medium.

I agree that Kritter Keepers can dry out quickly; I had issues with them in winter especially when my heat would be running practically 24/7. Also just as an aside, and I only mention it because we haven't seen the setup, red feet/belly can also be a symptom of too much moisture if the animal can't get up off of the wet ground. This could potentially lead to skin infections as well. Just something else to consider.

I am sorry for your loss

Thanks

I never new that but given the thought I recall every time I checked on it the baby was on the wet ground as I kept it moist from how dry it was.