Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Uromastyx?

Thanks

Is there a reason you Panacured it? You know they may have benficial nematodes too.

I actually have some days where the hot areas reach 125. If it's hot it'll pant.

Don't place it with another Uro unless you have a seperate enclosure. You've never seen Uros fight.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IndyCrestie View Post
    They can have water in their enclosure. In fact, mine regularly drinks from his bowl. Perhaps this is because he's always had one and knows what it is, but he is totally capable of "seeing" and drinking out of a bowl. He gets the vast majority of his water intake from his veggies, but I have (and will always continue to) offer him water from a small bowl. The humidity stays just fine and dandy, and he has never had a URI. He is 11 years old.
    What kind of Uro do you have? I have geyri, and all the people I have ever talked to and some have told me no water in their enclosure for geyri. The geyri where they are located in their natural environment have no standing water, so they naturally get it from the foods they eat.
    There are several different kinds of uros and I don't like that they are grouped into one big group, and thus should have the same care and requirements.
    That is great yours will drink from a bowl, but in my case it is not the same.
    I have tried water in my cage but all that resulted was stuck food to their bellys and a URI, all along with perfect temps.

Quote Originally Posted by IndyCrestie View Post
    No where did I say they needed to be the same temps as beardies I agree they do need it much hotter, but their basking temp preference does *not* mean you should soak them in water that is 110 - 120 degrees. I can think of two times in the years I've had mine that he got soaked, and both times it was in warm water and he did not come down with a URI as a result of it.
    I didn't say to soak them in 110-120 degrees! I simply said very hot water. If I need to be more specific around 85-95* where I do my dragons is luke warm I don't know the exact temp sorry, but to me it feels less hot than the Uros.

I am by no means an expert, but I do try to read as much as I can and to discuss as much as I can. The people I learned from I'm going to throw alot more weight into what they said just because they have studied them and bred them. And they are really good friends, and fellow herpers. I can't tell you a biograph on them but they are very smart people. Not exactly the most computer friendly people though... lol.

Azuki beans (really small red), Pintos, Black, green Split peas, orange dal, sunflower seeds, cracked bulghur wheat, shelled millet and flax... beans took a few turns in the coffee grinder and he's set! I set him up with a dish of veggies and a dish of bean mix.. is that right? Or do I mix them or offer the beans less often or what?

All that sounds great!
    I put my beans in a separate dish and just change it out two to three times a week. That way they always have something to eat in their enclosure.
    The greens I will variety what I sprinkle on top, I will do a calcium vitamin mix, t-rex uro powder, and I want to start with a tort pellet diet ground up to sprinkle on top as well.
    ~Christa~
    Avalon Reptiles

" If all the beasts were gone man would die from loneliness of spirit... for whatever happens to the beast, happens to the man" -Chief Seattle-

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cml3.0 View Post
    What kind of Uro do you have?
    A mali.
    A righteous man does not need a law, and an unrighteous man cannot keep one.

Thanks

This is why I, myself, am becoming less and less inclined to participate in forums... the "bickering" is unsettling for those of us who are just trying to learn from our fellow herpers. It's soooo sad.

Brian, you assume too much. Really. It wasn't me that panacured the Uro... he was treated by the store owner before I even inquired about him. I questioned him regarding the effects that it has on his "beneficial bacteria" and he kind of blew me off... which is usually due to one of many things, ie. he has no clue about the flora of the intestines.. he doesn't care one way or another (likely).. or he knows something about this reptile that I don't (even more likely since I'm still a nOoB, basically).

I have to agree with the scenario of generalizing the whole group of Uros into one husbandry approach... Africa is a huge continent, the desert areas are vastly differing, therefore the inhabitants would be as well. When I get a new animal, I have already done some regional research for that species and some 'one on one' with successful breeders and hobbyists. I don't just jump right in and try to figure it out as I go. I have my own agenda based on my personal research and I inquire about what is working for others... if it proves beneficial, I make adjustments where necessary (ie. Christa's bean recipe ).

I really appreciate all the help that I've received from Christa and Indy thus far and if I should have any further questions, I will pm either of you, or both, if you don't mind. I'm too old and too intolerant for this "scrappy" type of environment. Sorry folks.

~Aminah
    "Be who you are, and say what you feel. Because those that mind don't matter, and those that matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AneesasMuse View Post
    This is why I, myself, am becoming less and less inclined to participate in forums... the "bickering" is unsettling for those of us who are just trying to learn from our fellow herpers. It's soooo sad.

Brian, you assume too much. Really. It wasn't me that panacured the Uro... he was treated by the store owner before I even inquired about him. I questioned him regarding the effects that it has on his "beneficial bacteria" and he kind of blew me off... which is usually due to one of many things, ie. he has no clue about the flora of the intestines.. he doesn't care one way or another (likely).. or he knows something about this reptile that I don't (even more likely since I'm still a nOoB, basically).

I have to agree with the scenario of generalizing the whole group of Uros into one husbandry approach... Africa is a huge continent, the desert areas are vastly differing, therefore the inhabitants would be as well. When I get a new animal, I have already done some regional research for that species and some 'one on one' with successful breeders and hobbyists. I don't just jump right in and try to figure it out as I go. I have my own agenda based on my personal research and I inquire about what is working for others... if it proves beneficial, I make adjustments where necessary (ie. Christa's bean recipe ).

I really appreciate all the help that I've received from Christa and Indy thus far and if I should have any further questions, I will pm either of you, or both, if you don't mind. I'm too old and too intolerant for this "scrappy" type of environment. Sorry folks.

~Aminah

Well your pm was vastly different from this, didn't expect to come here and read it. Interesting.

That being said, I don't know about cml, but I respect her and certainly was not bickering. But there are some weird tendencies in the uro world (IE: offering drinking water) and when things are said to the effect that offering water will cause a URI, I find that fascinating seeing as how mine is 11 yrs old and never had a URI, though he has always had a small bowl of water available.

Diet is also interesting, though I think there are a few ways of doing things so I didn't mess with that one much expect to be clear that no one reputable, that I have ever seen, recommends feeding insects. There really isn't much debate about that one in the uro world. There are those that know what they're talking about...and those that don't. Not much of a debate.

Again though, no bickering from this end. It's an open forum and you will see disagreements and differing opinions. As long as they are offered in a constructive manner, no harm done. If you can not handle reading differing opnions, then I would agree that an internet forum for reptile keeping is not a good place to frequent.

Good luck with your new uro.
    A righteous man does not need a law, and an unrighteous man cannot keep one.

Thanks

So, maybe "bickering" is not the right word to describe this.. I just think that folks in general, and not just here or even particularly in this thread, forget what tact is and that just being able to read and not see the language is often disconcerting.

I appreciate the help, regardless.
    "Be who you are, and say what you feel. Because those that mind don't matter, and those that matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss

Thanks

You know there's a chance it wasn't actually treated then with panacur . . . It's something everyone says because it makes people happy.

Sorry I usually assume when someone says it was panucured that they did it because stores typically don't.

I'll just keep my mouth shut since I don't know what's going on.

Thanks

Well, I picked up some PetAg BeneBac for reptiles today. I'll be dosing according to package for the next 8 days, every other day... ie. 4 doses. I've used this product before and it worked very well, so I'm hoping for some good results.

Today was the first time I saw the Uro interested in his greens, but he really dug into them. I guess he likes butternut squash, chicory, red endive and collards When I see a "normal" poop, I'll feel even better.

Thanks again, for everyone's help here.

Thanks

Good to see he is perking up!
    ~Christa~
    Avalon Reptiles

" If all the beasts were gone man would die from loneliness of spirit... for whatever happens to the beast, happens to the man" -Chief Seattle-