Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Uromastyx?

Thanks

Default Uromastyx?

Does anyone here have a Mali or Niger or "blue" Uromastyx? Sorry, I went to the reptile store that doesn't use latin names.

I saw some Mali U's today and I think I want to add one or more to my collection. They have the cutest "chubby cheeks"

I'd love to hear your experiences with them... see pics... etc.

Thanks,

Aminah
    "Be who you are, and say what you feel. Because those that mind don't matter, and those that matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss

Thanks

Look at this site it will tell you exactly what you have (though you have to think a bit duller because these are nicer than the ones in the pet store )
    http://www.deerfernfarms.com/Uromastyx_Species.htm

I have two Uromastyx geyris.

They are quite a bit bigger now and more orange
    Mine are total vegetarians, and if you do get one make sure it is very health and try and see if it is captive breed most are wild caught in the pet stores. The wild caught tend not to be as, or it is harder for them, to be tamed down.

As long as you can get it very hot, and bright, and have a very high power UVB they will do great.

I really love my little buggers
    ~Christa~
    Avalon Reptiles

" If all the beasts were gone man would die from loneliness of spirit... for whatever happens to the beast, happens to the man" -Chief Seattle-

Thanks

I have a coming 11 yr old male mali uro. Adopted him when he was 4.

He's been one of my best lizards for a long time. Great feeder, easy keeper (just keep those temps up high!). He's always been super friendly too. I have yet to recieve a bite from him, and don't expect to ever get one.
    A righteous man does not need a law, and an unrighteous man cannot keep one.

Thanks

GREAT lizards! I have had the mali's before and even though they were wc (this was before you saw CB very often) they tamed down nice. Like every one else said they like to be cooked! Keep the temps UP.
    Dale
    "The dead are likely dull fellows, full of tedious complaints - 'the ground's too cold, my gravestone should be larger, why does HE get more worms than I do...'".

Thanks

Christa, those Uros are gorgeous! i was on that very site last night, after posting here... reading for hours.

And Indy, that is one handsome Mali... just beautiful!!

The pet store near me has mostly Mali, one Niger (?) and a "blue" that looks in horrible shape (he was all emaciated, very thin tail and barely alert). I'm pretty sure they are all WC, too. I don't like supporting WC anything, but... I dunno, I may have to.

Pueblan, how did you go about taming them down? Handling, I'm sure... but how often and how long each time to avoid stressing them? Will they respond to "treats" like my other reptiles do? (I've found that "spoon feeding" yummy stuff really helps the jumpier kiddos ) And is their bite as bloody as a Tokay? or worse?

I saw one of them yawn yesterday... I watched them for a LONG time... and his mouth didn't look very big, but those "chubby cheeks" look like they could be packin' a WHOLLOP of a bite. Is that so?

Thanks Everyone!!

Aminah
    "Be who you are, and say what you feel. Because those that mind don't matter, and those that matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss

Thanks

I've never been bit by one, but in watching mine eat he looks to have some serious bite pressure. I'd imagine it would not be a pleasant feeling to get bit by an adult uro...I've been nailed by several tokays (nasty little buggers!) and my guess would be that a uro would be much worse.
    A righteous man does not need a law, and an unrighteous man cannot keep one.

Thanks

Yikes!! I was on the deer farms site again and weird things started happening to my pc... about 100 windows opened, one after the other... error messages

..I had to restart my pc to make it stop!!

So, is there another site that offers common vs. latin names on all the Uros, or even most of them? I googled and found some info on Urotopia, but she didn't have any Sudanese. And "ornate" seems to be universal over a few of the regions

Heh! I'm easily confused, so this is just becoming frustrating

Thanks for your help!

~Aminah

Thanks

hmm I really haven't found any other sites I really like besides the one mentioned.
    Oh, sorry about being all downing on wild caughts. I have had some come in to the pet store that just go bonkers (WC's that is) but others do just fine. Though none of them have ever bitten me or tried... so I don't know...
    I think the best way to tame down Uros is to hand feed and slowly work up from there.
    ~Christa~
    Avalon Reptiles

" If all the beasts were gone man would die from loneliness of spirit... for whatever happens to the beast, happens to the man" -Chief Seattle-

Thanks

Oh and thanks I love my little buggers!!
    I need to get new pics of them too...
    ~Christa~
    Avalon Reptiles

Thanks

I've been thinking about it all day... I even called the store about them again, but I called a few minutes too early....... hah!! it's fate!

I think I'll spend a few more days or so looking around for CB babies. I checked fauna classifieds and kingsnake... not much there.

I keep on thinking of that one Niger (orange) Uro at the store and the other one that isn't looking so good, or a pair of the Mali's. I dunno...

I'm hooked on them now, though

P.s. Christa, don't worry... I have my own biases about WC vs. CB. I waited months and months just to find a CB Tokay; and still waiting for some CB females to come available somewhere. It isn't just the health of the animal, but the idea of depleting what is left in nature. IMO, the CB process is somewhat to ensure the species remains and possibly, if needed, we can replenish the wild populations. But... I'm a dreamer, so I could be blowin' smoke