Thread: Excessive Mold in Isopod Culture

Thanks

Default Excessive Mold in Isopod Culture

I started a breeding culture for dwarf white isopods to seed vivariums with and it's been going for a week or so. I went out of town and had someone who was taking care of our dog mist it while I was gone. Upon returning I found there was a lot of white webby mold and some thick oozy looking orange-ish mold covering the leaf litter. The breeder culture is a 16qt sterilite container and I put a 8oz started culture into it. I think I picked out to big of a container but I thought that as the culture grew they would end up needing more space but now I can't even see the isopods in there. There is 3-5 inches of ABG substrate in the culture with leaf litter scattered pretty thickly across the surface plus a piece of card board. I added a bit cabbage leaf and a half a grape as food. It looks like it's been staying pretty wet in there. How wet is too wet for the isopods? They breathe through gills so they need moist substrate I would think, but should it be dry between misting? How often to mist? I didn't have time to drill any holes in the lid so I had the lid cracked open and I think it was kept closed while I was gone, not good. However, it was growing white webby mold within days before I left when and it was ventilated well enough so what did I do wrong and how can I fix the issue? I read that too much mold will kill the isopods, so any chance they're still alive? There is a lot of mold in there. If they are dead then I'm going to have to purchase more which will be an inconvenience. Also there are a bunch of white worms in there that I have identified as some type of fruit fly larvae. Thanks for the help and sorry if the answer is obvious; I am kindo of new to this.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 799 Posts

I generally add water to cultures whenever it seems dry. I have isopods in almost all of my terrariums even when they are on the "dry" side. Ventilation is good to have. You can try adding more substrate to soak up the extra water or put the container in front of a fan for a few hours.

I don't think the isopods are dead but you can try stirring the soil to get them to come up. But you have a small amount of isopods in a relatively big enclosure (I usually use 6 quart bins) so just continue to maintain the enclosure as if you know they are alive in there. Try keeping one end moist and the other dry so they can always have somewhere to escape to if they feel too wet or dry.

I use uncooked rice, greens, and CGD to feed them. I usually find them in food bowls that are not elevated.

Good luck!
    Specializing in Crested Geckos
    Working with Uromastyx | Uroplatus | PI Chahoua
    Also keeping: Australian Shepherds (Chester & Sadie)
    Moon Valley Reptiles | MVR @iherp | Facebook

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Spyral For This Useful Post:

Viking (08-17-2015)

Thanks

Thanks for the info!

Thanks

Maybe sterilize everything and start from scratch. Substrate, etc. if your having fly problems. The mold could of actually formed from 1 of many things. air-born Contamination, something contaminated on the food, possible spores on flies/larvae. Its hard too narrow that one down. I'd collect what iso's i could and start from scratch. Also as spyral said ventilation is always good.