Thread: Panther chameleons

Thanks

Default Panther chameleons

Hi!

I was just wondering if anyone could give some care tips on Panther Chameleon Care/ Breeding. I'm aquiring Nosy Mitsios ( a breeding pair ) and I wanted some personal feedback from who ever keeps chameleons. Thanks!

Thanks

I have two Panther chameleons. The female is an Ambanja and the male is Ambilobe.

Thanks

I keep them both in 24x24x48 screen enclosures with 5.0 UVB lamps and a 60W dome lamp for basking. I have a MistKing system on a timer that mists them 6 times a day for intervals from 30-90 seconds each misting. Ambient temperatures average 76-84 and basking temp is around 88. They have lots of vines, hides and branches to climb. I also keep a lay box filled with moist sand in the bottom of the female enclosure. My female just laid a batch of eggs on Tuesday. But, I have not bred them this season. I'm considering breeding, next year.
    Here is the male, Sampson, Jr.:
    Name:  024.jpg
Views: 78
Size:  100.1 KB

4. The Following User Says Thank You to odduc748 For This Useful Post:

Sal (10-04-2015)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by odduc748 View Post
    I keep them both in 24x24x48 screen enclosures with 5.0 UVB lamps and a 60W dome lamp for basking. I have a MistKing system on a timer that mists them 6 times a day for intervals from 30-90 seconds each misting. Ambient temperatures average 76-84 and basking temp is around 88. They have lots of vines, hides and branches to climb. I also keep a lay box filled with moist sand in the bottom of the female enclosure. My female just laid a batch of eggs on Tuesday. But, I have not bred them this season. I'm considering breeding, next year.
    Here is the male, Sampson, Jr.:
    Name:  024.jpg
Views: 78
Size:  100.1 KB

Stunning male .

Thanks

How often do you feed your male? I have 2 males. A multi color like yours and an all blue both 2 different ages and 2 different sizes. I feed every day as long as they want it. Is this bad?

Thanks

You should feed them every day. I give mine about 6-10 crickets, daily. I also offer them dubias, every few days and superworms, once or twice a week. Occasionally, they will get hornworms. Try and offer a good variety of gut loaded insects. Also make sure to dust insects with calcium (no d3), daily and multi vitamins, twice a month. Dust with D3 calcium, every other week.

They will eat until they've had enough. You should put in a few crickets and note how many they will finish. The next day, add one or two more crickets every day until you notice how many they're finishing in a single day.

Basically, you want to have as few live crickets left in the cage as possible before the lights go out.

Thanks

I give them multi V every Sunday D3 once a month a cal every day. What is hornworms? I give the oldest like e or 4 of the super worms a day. Is that bad? I give him about 3 or 4 dubia's a day and my smaller one 5 dubia's a day. I use to feed him 2 twice a day but sense I feed them dubia's daily I heard they don't need as many because they have the filling they need. Was I given wrong info?

Thanks

Dubias and crickets are good daily feeders. Dubias do have more nutritional value. You can try leaving several dubias in a dish and let your chams decide how much they want to eat.

However, superworms are high in fat and should not be fed as often. Again, it is very important that you feed insects with fresh vegetables and some fruits (Avoid citrus) about 24 hours before feeding them to your chams.

Thanks

I wonder why I was told they couldn't eat fruits and veggies. They told me that would kill them. I have panthers

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jcuevas View Post
    I wonder why I was told they couldn't eat fruits and veggies. They told me that would kill them. I have panthers
    Whoever told you that is wrong.

Your feeder insects will eat the fruits and vegetables and absorb the nutritional value of what they eat. Then, when your chams eat the bugs, they get that nutrition. Keep in mind, do not feed your bugs citrus fruits. The citrus is not good for chameleons.