Thread: Any Suggestions for an Experienced Keeper?

Thanks

Default Any Suggestions for an Experienced Keeper?

Hi all, I need some suggestions for a new reptile. Currently, all I own is a sand boa, but in the past I've had a water dragon that was pretty laid back, even as a hatchling. I'd had him for a good amount of time before, during handling, I hadn't been paying attention to my cat who had, unfortunately, turned and severely injured him. Those injuries became infected, despite the vet prescribing antibiotics, and it had cost him his life. That was years ago, and I've since learned from my mistakes and lock other pets up when I'm handling my sand boa. (Sorry for that short spill, but I just wanted to give you a brief summary of my reptile keeping experience).

I want another animal, a snake or lizard preferably, but after months of research I'm having trouble deciding.

-I have the finances to build a fairly large enclosure, and size isn't a limitation for me, so I'm pretty willing to go all-out.

-I want something that has a lot of personality, not necessarily a "love-me" kind of reptile but something that isn't typically shy around people.

-Also, diurnal species please that I'll actually see. I already have a sand boa, and as much as I love him I'm pretty tired of looking at an empty cage.

-I prefer the animal to be around 2-5 feet for a lizard, or 5-8 feet for a snake, something that has some size to it without being overwhelming for one person.

-I don't necessarily want an animal that's for handling, but also not something that's strictly for show. I want something that falls into the middle between beardie-tame and chameleon-attitude, if you understand what I'm saying.

I'm looking into a basilisk, frilled dragon, jungle carpets, and even a savannah monitor. Any feedback is appreciated.

Thanks

Perhaps a Green Tree Monitor? One of the smaller monitor species. Pretty delicate, and can be flighty, but if you're patient and slow, can be handleable. Diurnal, 2-3 feet long, require a large enclosure and pretty intelligent. But not as big as a savannah.

Thanks

Iguanas maybe? They can be super mean but can also be tamed to puppy dog levels or in between. Theyre pretty big though. For a snake, maybe a green tree python or emerald tree boa? Same type of thing, can be really aggressive but you can work with them and they can be handleable if you know how to do it.

Sent from my XT1042 using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 799 Posts

Get an Egyptian Uromastyx. They are very active diurnal lizards that get to be very large. Most have friendly personalities but you should work with them regularly so they don't become timid. I recommend an enclosure that opens from the front, not the top. They don't like to be grabbed from above, as most predators in the wild are hawks.
    Specializing in Crested Geckos
    Working with Uromastyx | Uroplatus | PI Chahoua
    Also keeping: Australian Shepherds (Chester & Sadie)
    Moon Valley Reptiles | MVR @iherp | Facebook

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Spyral View Post
    Get an Egyptian Uromastyx. They are very active diurnal lizards that get to be very large. Most have friendly personalities but you should work with them regularly so they don't become timid. I recommend an enclosure that opens from the front, not the top. They don't like to be grabbed from above, as most predators in the wild are hawks.
    I don't know why I didn't think of that. Awesome suggestion. Uromastyx are really cool.

Sent from my XT1042 using Tapatalk