Thread: Interesting Shedding Issue

Thanks

Default Interesting Shedding Issue

Hi everyone,

Over the past few sheds, my gargoyle hasn't been eating as much of it as he had in the past. In addition, rather than looking wider/paper like, the skin has taken on a very skinny appearance--almost like it curled in on itself after he shed it off. My humidity is around 50-60 percent in the day time, and about 75-80 percent at night. He rarely, if ever, has it stuck to his toes. My current feeding regime is the standard CGD changed every 48 hours.

Has anybody seen something like this, or even know whether it's a bad thing? Could it be related to some kind of deficiency? For reference, the piece of skin here looks like it came from the lower side of the abdomenal area. (The tail portion that it includes on the right side of the picture is obviously supposed to be narrower, my focus is on the skin above it). Thanks for reading!

http://rs1273.pbsrc.com/albums/y409/...kn.jpg~320x480

Thanks

Photos of the animal itself will speak volumes. Skin can do all sorts of things after being shed... and most times the animal will eat it but will occasionally leave it behind. Really cannot tell anything or offer advice based on that photo.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dragontown View Post
    Photos of the animal itself will speak volumes. Skin can do all sorts of things after being shed... and most times the animal will eat it but will occasionally leave it behind. Really cannot tell anything or offer advice based on that photo.
    Thank you very much for your reply! I will try to post a picture of him in the next day or two. I'm trying not to touch him yet, since the shed just happened last night.

Thanks

There's no issue touching him... it is a shed, not a molt! You're not dealing with a soft body, post shed.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dragontown View Post
    There's no issue touching him... it is a shed, not a molt! You're not dealing with a soft body, post shed.
    Hi again, thanks for waiting! This was the best full body shot I could get. He's a little fired up because he's sitting under a UVB tube. I hope this helps!

P.S.: His slight pelvic curve and over bite have been there ever since I met him. They haven't affected his eating or movements. And his abdomen doesn't have a huge lump like the picture seems--he just happens to be laying on an undulation on the cork piece.

http://rs1273.pbsrc.com/albums/y409/...uz.jpg~320x480

Thanks

He looks ok to me. Snout may be a little on the short side, but that could just be the angle, or related to the overbite. Unless he has obvious stuck shed I wouldn't be worried; a sauna would be beneficial if you think he might be dehydrated.

How old is he? Based on the lack of bulge in the back end, I think he might be female... but could be due to a young age as well.
    1.0.0 R. auriculatus - Quinn
    1.0.0 C. ciliatus - Good Hank
    1.0.0 Mutt - Waldo
    1.2.0 Cats - Oliver, Dharia and Chloe
    iherp.com/sarahberry

Thanks

I believe that's a "she"

Thanks

Wow, this is embarrassing...It was sold to me as a male when it was around a year old. Never had infertile eggs, either, but that doesn't always happen anyway...The vent area has never had a super prominent bulge, but I wouldn't say that it's flat, either.

Sarah, s/he is 10 years old. The snout issueight have been developmental stifling. The lady I got him/her from spent the first 9 months or so of his/her life nursing it back from a serious calcium deficiency (even had to set up a tiny jaw sling). It had a sibling that she failed to save, so I suspect that the snout length, pelvic curve and over bite stem from that critical period. It's fine now--bones are strong, and s/he hasn't displayed any compromised mobility. We've even had a few jumping-to-the-hardwood floor incidents, and all s/he did was start running across the room after falling. No broken legs!